Kids never had it so good

The useless sods of today could not make one.

Reply to
ARW

From what I remember of Blake's Seven the whole set and special effects were from the Blue Peter kids make section and their extensive use of sticky back plastic.

Reply to
alan_m

Indeed. But to their credit, the robot actors were quite good: there were times I could almost believe that Servalan was human :)

Reply to
Robin

In message , ARW writes

Yes, thank you Adam. Just spent far too long recapturing my childhood, watching Blue Peter :-) Presenters were Christopher Trace and Valerie Singleton then. John Noakes was the new boy, who joined later. Just got to resist searching for Eamonn Andrews presenting Crackerjack [1] now.

[1] CRACK-ER-JACK!
Reply to
News

What gets me is that modern kids seem to not want to actually make anything. When I was young I'd buy balsa wood some one sided razor blades some sandpaper glue and plasticine and make small gliders that went for bloody miles on a good day. I tried to interest some folk of the I phone age and all i got was, why? Why not, you learn all about aerodynamics and how planes fly.

I can read all that on the web they say. grump. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It's not all bad - we watched the BBC series "Victorian Bakers" and now Owen wants to make some bread, the old fashioned way. The sponge is fermenting as we speak...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't forget to add the allum and sawdust.

Reply to
alan_m

What a guy

He was my favourite presenter of the show as he was there when I first started watching it - much as Tom Baker will always be my favourite Dr Who as he was the first one I watched as a child.

Reply to
ARW

We're going for "early Victorian" :)

Shame, as I have loads of sawdust and plasterboard gratings :->>>

Reply to
Tim Watts

And what about the sets on Fireball XL5 which were sometimes, almost literally, rubbish. Although that never me stop me watching.

Reply to
pamela

NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE.

Jeremy Clarkson thinks he is Blake!

Reply to
newshound

Supercar ....................................

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Oh yes. Thunderbirds too.

Reply to
pamela

I don't make bread, but due to an ongoing kitchen refit there's a fair amount of that sort of thing going into my pasta nowadays.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I remember seeing that the first time! And in flares too... The other thing I remember is Go With Noakes and him going over a waterfall on an airbed!

Reply to
Tim Watts

There was something about a cowboy sheriff who had these guns that jumped into his hands. Can't remember now.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I think this is it. Arggg

Mr Pounder Esquire

Mr Pounder Esquire scribbled

Re-live your childhood for a tenner

Jonno

My dad used to stick my hand in the fire when I was naughty. So, thanks but no thanks. Fucked up link anyway ..

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Define "make".

In our day it meant physically joining bits of electronics, wood, metal, WHY to "make" a physical object.

These days they have Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, Cedar Logic, LTSpice etc they "make" things in these virtual worlds, no need to get your hands dirty and if you make a mistake you haven't wasted the previous 3 weeks pocket money on the now wrong shape/smokeless widget.

Also these days many things are available as "black boxes", ie a chip. We'd have to work out, without the instant resource of the web, and make the functionality of the black box before we could move onto actually doing something useful. The on going storeage heater problem, wanted to know what it was actually doing. Raspberry Pi,

1-Wire thermometer, mains relay, 30 mins of wiring, 30 mins for a bit of Python and I have a data logger doing something useful... That would have been a lot harder to do in the 1970's.

And even learn what does/doesn't work in a virtual world. Some of which are pretty realistic as far as how objects really behave.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice