Kent to be turned into giant lorry park full of rotting food

You think the EU responsible for those no longer existing?

That's what is so funny about Brexiteers. Blame everything they don't like on the EU. And think things will go back to as before once out of it. They are going to be *very* disappointed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And it was basically immigrants who educated the UK public into wanting and expecting something better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That too but there's not much Mediterranean fruit and veg in dishes like bubble and squeak, yorkshire pudding, spotted dick, rice pudding, roast beef, toad in the hole, rhubarb crumble, etc.

Reply to
Pamela

On 01/08/18 12:21, Pamela wrote: there's not much Mediterranean fruit and veg in dishes

European wheat. Durum from italy probably

spotted dick,

See above. And of course we grow sultanas in this country dont we, and sweet currants. And although we do grow sugar, in te 50s itr maily came from te caribbean

rice pudding,#

The paddy fields of Enfield are doing well I hear.

You are one of those people whe really are thicker than they appear at first sight.

Even in Mrs Beetons time there was a huge amount of imported foods - obviussly dried or non persishable, but imported none the less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Amazing strawman Dave.

Just for clarity - no, I said nothing of the sort.

Reply to
Tim Watts

For me, it was Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver videos on YT for the most part improved my basic cooking skills.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quite possibly.

Lot's of small abattoirs with an attached butchers were closed thanks to EU 'hygiene regs'.

And over zealous LA staff armed with EU dictat paperwork probably made it impossible for the others to function.

Reply to
Andrew

Flares and Orange/Brown floral wallpaper ?.

Bejam ("We're hot") ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Well it might result in some very fat illegals if they are trapped inside a food lorry coming to the UK and have unlimited food at their disposal.

Also, how many lorries carrying foodstuffs from the continent also carry illegals who crap inside the lorries, but escape in the UK. Is the whole load rejected ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Neeps and tatties, haggis and whisky.

Never hurt the scots.

Reply to
Andrew

Surely not. Fanny Craddock introduced us to green-coloured mash back then.

Reply to
Andrew

Like chinese-run fish and chip shops where the fried fish sometimes reeked of bleach because they wanted to mask the fact that the fish was 'off'.

Reply to
Andrew

But still want to turn the clock back when it suits you?

As I said, typical Brexiteer. The 'things should be as I want regardless of reality' mentality.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps you don't remember the days when every high street had its Ritz restaurant serving 'white collar' lunches? With everything cooked and ready for serving by 8 am? Then kept warm? Rather before the days of Ramsey and Oliver on TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'd rather animals were butchered in unhygienic conditions?

Better food hygiene is a prime reason for people living longer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For me it was living with a BBC catering manageress and a Jewish friend who loved to cook.

Ahnd wanting to recreate curries.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The cost to resach EU standards of meat slaugthering means there is only room for one every 50 miles or so.

Net result - terrified animals transported in trucks miles and miles, adding cost, so they can be 'humaneley' and 'hygienically' slaughtered (probably to halal/kosehr standards) and the the meat is packed and refrigerated and shipped all the way back.

Guess who owns the big slaughterhouses? Not your local farmer or butcher is it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

tatties are S american imports, Not available in Europe pre columbus

Along with peppers, chillies, tomatoes, aubergines and just about every other member of the solanaceae family EXCEPT deadly nightshade.

Pre columbus diet was unremittingly boring and the more so the further North you went.

Rye and oats are just about th only carbohydrates that existed in high latitudes and even today potatoes have a hard time in the harsher parts of scotland

Few vegetables grow in high latitiudes - mostly its just brassicas (Yuk!) and the odd root.

And few fruits either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. Nothing like getting a foreigner to cook your favourite dish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You think a BBC canteen the epitome of decent cooking? Says it all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)