Kent to be turned into giant lorry park full of rotting food

why would we be letting food rot on the motorway as we try to export it under No deal?

we are told that we will have a shortage of food under no deal, surely we would be selling everything we produce within the UK

tim

Reply to
tim...

You're very fearful/credulous. Things will be exactly as they were back in the 70's. Nobody starved.

Reply to
harry

The richest will be fine,

The rich might struggle a bit,

The Brexiters had better start stockpiling smartprice beans now.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I would, if I had to eat 1970s food again.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In the 70s (and 80s) I fit and thin - there was something to be said for at least my 70s food consumption.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

No don't be silly it will be given to your favourite immigrants i'd imagine. :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

do we want to live on nothing but turnips?

Reply to
charles

"was" fit and thin

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sounds like we might be going back to the days when British cuisine was a standing joke.

Reply to
Pamela

Then you need to get those ears tested, bad.

What will actually happen is that Britain will import what food people want to buy from all over the world, just like it does now.

Reply to
1478

It's wee Jock McSpeed again d'ye ken ?

Och aye! Angus McSpeed no 1478. All that way just for stealing a sack of porridge.

Grandad.

michael adams

michael adams

Hoots mon. Och aye, mebbe wee Angus McSpeed 1478 is tryin' tae make us tae eat porridge raither than sassenach scran.

Reply to
Pamela

The thing with 1970s was that it was the time of the rise of the home freezer and the rise of frozen and dried ready meals.

I lived on that stuff.

Tried a Fray Bentos tinned pie last year - gawd, it was awful.

Tried a Findus Crispy Pancake the other week. Ewww. I used to like that stuff.

However, there was no shortage of good fresh meat, fish, vegetables and fruit. It was just seasonal for the most part. And you could could very good meals with it.

Things were possibly better in a way: our small town (still called itself a "village") had 3 butchers, fishmonger and 2 greengrocers.

The variety of fish and meat was excellent - and there were far more random things available like ox kidneys and livers and proper bacon with rind on than now.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They probably hadn't got around to shoving corn syrup in everything. And kids ran around like loonies as there were no games consoles or smartphones.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That was shit poor cooking skills - nothing to do with the available ingredients.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Still love them.

I only ever ate those in desperation.

Our town has four 'proper' butchers within walking distance, and two bakeries plus a Saturday market baker's stall.

Reply to
Bob Eager

yep. My two 'local' towns all have butchers and markets and I have a choice of aldi lidl sainsburys waitrose tesco...etc..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I love the steak and kidney puddings but for some reason the pie made me feel sick. Weird.

It's certainly true that a man can eat anything once he's used to it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks for confirming you want to turn the clock back to the 70s. Does that include all the industrial disputes of that time too? Or do you think you can cherry pick the best bits of the 70s too?

But I'd guess what you actually want is for yourself to be as you were in the 70s, rather than a sad old man.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)