Joists into brick - cement?

I'm fitting wooden joists into holes in a brick wall, and between blocks. Is it best to cement them in tight, or might dampness permeate? or to leave a gap and wedge them in with wood wedges and slate underneath so there's ventilation (or but a gap for water to get in?) [george]

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

When I've done this I've wrapped the joist end in damp proof membrane before slotting it in, a couple of wedges to hold it, and then mortared it. Whoever replace my dinining room floor, though, just rested the joists dry on the cellar walls, though wrapped in membrane.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

It doesn't rhyme and it doesn't scan.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This now considered to be bad practice. The modern practice is to use joist hangers Which means you don't need holes in the wall. It reduces air leaks, is quicker and less chance of the wood deteriorating in the future.

harry

What do people buy after viewing this product?

100.0% buy NN Silicone White 310ml from £1.94 99

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They are on the inner leaf, quite thick steel, galvanised and embedded in cement. So not a problem. Also joists could be replaced much easier than traditional ones.

Reply to
harry

They're galvanised, or even stainless steel nowadays. If they rust, the timber won't have stood a chance.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They are between an inside wall and an I beam so I hope dampness wont be a problem.

I couldnt find joist hangers that size, and want a ceiling on my bedroom by christmas so i'm putting them in slots.

thganks

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

I'm using line ends as punctuation, to help convey the sense of my posts.

You?re not printing them so its not wasting paper!

In a few years lots of people will be doing this too!

[g]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

It's haiku ;)