Insane Scot with disregard for electrical safety

What electrical safety is that? Bloke had a genset in his kitchen or wherever, suspended from the ceiling so as to not disturb the neighbours and charging a battery, drawing from that via an inverter. I fail to see the problem - except the need to store more than the permitted amount of petrol. Gassing himself or the neighbours is a bonus.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's not me, and BigClive lives in Edinburgh.

Owain

It's not me, and BigClive lives in Edinburgh.

be the lootenants daddy.

Reply to
brass monkey

Well. That link kept me very happy for a few hours.

Many thanks. :)

Reply to
Ericp

Is this site serious? Or is it a version of The Onion?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Seems serious to me. Just a bloke with a sense of humour and traditional disregard for ElfnSafeT. He seems to have a background in special effects and probably some interesting hobbies. I enjoyed his blarney anyhow. :)

Reply to
Ericp

I wonder what he hoped to achieve? Must have been stolen petrol or something.

Reply to
harry

Haven't got the calculator out. Is it cheaper to generate yr own electricity utilizing say, an old car diesel engine, alternator and home made bio fuel - than connecting to the national grid?

Reply to
Adrian C

Only if you've been cut off for not paying and bypassing the meter.

Reply to
John Williamson

roughly speaking a litre of oil contains about 10Kwh of energy, and a diesel genny runs at about 20% eff. So its going to take half a litre of oil to generate a Kwh.

So if you can get diesel - self made biodiesel - at less than 20p a litre, the answer will be yes. If you ignore the capital cost/maintenance of the genny.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Na, Clive actually has a clue!

Reply to
John Rumm

Bing! Had to be didn't it.

Reply to
fred

I imagine he's done it in such a way that it could back-feed the supply.

Notice how the BBC website describes it, "Charles McKenzie is alleged to have rigged up a "dangerous transformer assembly" at his flat"

Though it is a bit unclear exactly which bit is reckless - the "producing electricity", the "transformer", hanging the generator from the ceiling, or simply having petrol stored in his flat.

Some flats have byelaws preventing bottled gas being taken into the building, and I think some do the same for petrol.

Reply to
dom

But surely then you run an extension lead to next door and bypass their meter as well?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, it's serious. The owner does the Xmas lights for Glasgow (and I think work for the Edinburgh Military Tattoo as well)

Owain

Usually the ones built like Roland point.

If it were that type of construction he needs evicting.

Reply to
dennis

If anyone is trying to Google it, I think dennis means:

Ronan Point

Reply to
Bob Eager

No. Not even with untaxed diesel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1 - there's some fun to be had there. And I live just a few miles away!
Reply to
robgraham