Insane Scot with disregard for electrical safety

Sorry - missed the home made fuel bit. If the fuel is free - who knows? But a 12 volt car alternator is limited to perhaps 1.5kW so it would be better to use a proper 240v generator.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That be the one, now you mention it.

Someone blew out the walls of one flat and the rest collapsed above it. The walls weren't tied in very well.

Reply to
dennis

Basically because the contractors who built it couldn't be arsed to put in all the bolts.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You need to learn the difference of doing something which means there's a 1 in several thousand chance of happening, and a 1 in 2 chance of happening.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Sounds like a similar taller structure in the US, house of cards.

Reply to
fred

When I worked for an electricity board we had someone who dug a hole through the wall and drove a couple of 6" nails into next door's meter tails.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Using the external walls as load bearing elements in a tower block was simply bad design.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Well, that too. And not making it clear that every bolt counted, because the panels were structural.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Generating bogus FIT revenue?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Fit like?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Careful, that's a load-bearing poster"

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If you design the house around a suitable vehicle/engine and make use of all the utilities such a design could offer, massive engine, heat plant and whatever, it might be useful in frozen wastes far from reliable supplies. Noisy though.

I remember watching a couple of early editions of Ice Road Truckers and thinking: "Why are they suffering from frostbite when part of the problem with old trucks not designed fro use in the Arctic is protecting the engine and radiator from the cold?"

Earlier still, in parts of Russia, some vehicle types were designed with radiators that fitted into the carriage.

I would have thought it a piece of cake to route an hose into the passenger side of a truck cab and possibly into a drum or home made rad of some sort.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

?feature=3Dfvwpbe&NR=3D1&v=3D2pQeeUkPoyk

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Dense strikes again

don't tell me you are going to blame your spellchecker for that

Duh

Reply to
geoff

Nicked, obviously

Reply to
geoff

Hard to get free fuel though I would have thought, unless you happen to have a direct source of it as part as your business - 15 years ago it was relatively unheard of, but I expect that there are enough takers of waste oil now that it's either hard to come by or the source will want some form of payment.

Well, they just said alternator, not 'car alternator', so I assume they were thinking of something a bit bigger.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

At 1983 feet (604 meters), it would have dwarfed Ronan Point.

Reply to
polygonum

Seems to prove the point then

Reply to
geoff

Certainly does. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Metres. Or are you installing meters in those flats?

Reply to
Tim Streater