Today at school we built an aeroplane

Kit of parts from Slovakia for £62,000 and just under a year to build

Certainly beats the plantpot stand I took home from woodwork at the end of term

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

Quite.

My wife's junior school class built a model big enough for a child to sit in! They had lots of help from apprentices at what was then Hawker aviation at Hatfield.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Brilliant!

Mind you, I remember in the sixties, a chap (it nearly always was a chap) would go into his shed with a few bits of spruce, some plywood and some aerolite glue, nick the engine out of a VW Beetle and finish up with one of these:

I used to go and watch the Tiger Club at play with them when they used to fly out of Fairoaks Aerodrome.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yes but who gets to fly it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I believe the Schools around Guildford University build parts fro satellites and get them launched. These are the cubesats we hear about, Short lived but interesting extra payloads riding on commercial launches. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There were some talented people at my old school in the 60s. One young chap built a Violin. I was not paying attention at the time, but it looked good at the end, maybe it was a kit or something. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message <q5di0j$ihd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Huh! My fiddle playing cousin makes them. More of a lifestyle than a hobby as selecting each piece of wood seems to take months. My involvement is providing the deep throat bandsaw needed for splitting the soundboard. The angle of cut needed to produce two exactly matched paired bits of wood apparently requires weeks of agonised consideration!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I bet this is one project that Sir lets the kids try first time

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I hope they do a pupil headcount before pressing the red button or that could be a really awkward phonecall to explain why little Tarquin is going to be late home from school

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog