Connector for four wires

I have a string of outdoor lights which consists of four separate wires out of a wall wart. Unfortunately, I need to feed the string through a small 10mm hole in a wall but leave the wall wart indoors.

The easiest way would be to cut the four wires around 200mm away from the wall wart, pass the string ends back through the hole, and then reconnect them. Is there a plug and socket that will allow me to do this? This will be an annual event...

Low voltage, yes?

The male mini-DIN plug (as used on some keyboards and mice) is just a whisper under 10mm without its outer casing.

Nick Odell

Isolated low voltage? Chocblock and sticky tape.

Mains or non-isolated 4 or 5 pin male/female XLR inline. Male on the light strings. 10A or so rating not technically a mains connector though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah brain fade about required to pass through 10 mm hole. XLRs need a 20 mm hole... Choc block leaves bare ends on the string.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Staggered single connectors, e.g. phono

Reply to
geoff

I had a second thought about using a four-pole 3.5mm jack such as that on a USB connector I have here on my desk. The moulded-on leads are well under the 10mm spec but I haven't so far found an illustration of a solderable/connectable version to get measurements from.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yes, low voltage.

look promising: thanks.

2 x phono plugs and line sockets - one black, one red, staggered along the cable slightly? Cheap and easy to solder. A small four pin connector might be tricky.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Running at mains voltage?

There are disco light sockets that are 4 pole or more.

The Natural Philosopher

You could use four separate pairs of auto crimp connectors, each pair a pin and receptacle. These are insulated and very small OD. You'd have to stagger them along the cable but that would also identify them.

SAUB231 and SAUB232. Available from motorists' discount shops and Halfords.

The crimp tool is cheap.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Looking at typical garden lights I would think the red ones would be a better fit.

Reply to
dennis

I would open up the wall wart and see how the wires are attached inside.

Reply to
GB

When I come across those on a car I'm trying to sort an electrical problem on, you can near guarantee they are not doing the job properly. The cheap pressed steel crimp tool most use simply doesn't crimp properly. Unless the cable is right at the upper end of the range they are said to accept. In practice, most can be pulled off. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looks like the easiest to solder and connect/reconnect. Thanks, all: I'll go with this.

Core drill and the SDS?? :)

Reply to
Gazz

Could you leave the wall wart inside and a connector in a weatherproof box outside all year round?

In which case I'd suggest ordinary audio DIN connectors and parallel up the pins if needed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The current handling of these - or at least the basic plastic ones - is very poor. Touchel (who use the same pin pattern but with a metal case) may be better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or use an outside box to house the wall mart?

What is this annual event?

Reply to
ARW

At a guess, putting up outside lights to celebrate the birthday of Isaac Newton.

(Pedantic note: I said "the birthday of", not "the birth of")

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Have to be a bloody big box to fit a supermarket inside it, and how that will power his xmyth lights i dunno :)

Reply to
Gazz