Its not bust I tell ya.

Anyone think their Toshiba Satallite1640CDT or models similair to this is bust? Don't

(Yes I know its old.)

Here's the symptom....

Switchs on but doesn't fire up ie Power light comes on but doesn't go any further.

Here's the remedy...

unscrew the keyboard from the bottom(marked K) for keyboard screws and if you know how to get to the processor underneath then get to it.

At the side of the processor there is a plastice retainer,this retainer keeps or should keep the processor in place ie it puts pressure on the side of the processor to engage the pins to lock in place in the socket. This retainer loses its ridigedness over time and the processor starts moving away from the sockets contacts. So push the processor back onto the contacts till you hear it click(dont use a lot of force),how I did it was put a stanley knife blade between the socket and processor side and levered it into the contacts till it clicked,I then got a piece of bakealite(power transistor heatsink)and cut a tiny piece off and wedged it between socket and processor so that it wouldn't move again.

BINGO! my lappy is working again.

Happy Days. ;-)

Reply to
George