It's dead Jim

"Retention of energy performance certificates while scrapping HIPs."

Assuming that an energy guesstimate (well, I'd hardly call it an assessment) cert lasts for several years if not forever, rather than 6 months.

That'll be a few failed hairdressers on the dole then.

Reply to
Tim Watts

From my experience of buying property here, this is a step backwards. Here, for non auction properties (a lot of homes are sold by auction) you look at the property - usually at an advertised open for inspection time - and if you're seriously interested are given a s32, effectively a HIP with title, planning, covenants, utility info etc. You decide on what you're prepared to offer (an agent is not allowed to accept offers unless you've seen the s32), sign a contract - usually conditional on finance and survey - which you have three days to back out of, which gives you time to get legal advice.

I bought an investment property in November: looked at it at 2.00, was reading the s32 at 3.00, back in the agents office to sign the paperwork at 4.00, and he phoned me back to say the vendor had accepted and countersigned at 6.00.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The problems here were 3 fold:

a) The buyer's solicitor considered they had no weight so had to order all the checks again (as they did before)

b) They expired after 6 months which was stupid, and an obvious money grabbing exercise for the DEAs

c) I don't think anyone much cared. I read mine when I was trying to sell. The Land Registry entry was vaguely interesting but you can pull that online for a fiver. The utlities info was next to useless. I think most people assume the seller has title otherwise he's going to look fairly stupid when the solictor finds otherwise and it will be checked anyway.

The EA is next to worthless too. That is obviously a concession to the greens, but if they must, that should be made more rigorous (as in the DEA actually has to look in the loft!). And the data will never change unless works are undertaken, in which case it's in the interests of the seller to redo it as most changes are for the better. I don't know of anyone who buys a house on the strength of an EA either - and neither did the Estate Agent.

I agree, in an auction having this data on hand would be useful, but most houses here are sold in the normal way and my eyeballs and a chat with the seller tell me more than the HIP ever did. And I did pull a Land Registry file for one place because it takes minutes and is cheap.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The TV news was talking about a cancelling act for a lot of Labours nonsense this morning. Strikes me its time for everyone to write to their MP asking for part P to be cancelled as part of the same process. It has descended into a reason for NICEICs continued existence (along with a few other organisations), a reason for LAs to empoy more staff, and has resulted in the now famous increase not decrease in accidents. All of which were forecast by most reasonable people in this group when it was first mooted. Prescott should have simply shut the door on the promoters but was too full of s**t to see past his nose.

Reply to
cynic

And Part L, and that silly bit about driveways (or is that planning?)

What they *could* do for Part P is to amend the rules so that "not for reward" is written in as an exception aka Gas regs/GasSafe - which would keep the trade clean (excepting the fact that NICEIC don't seem to be able to do their job - at least CORGI cared when I grassed up one of their fitters).

Perhaps our resident NIC member (or members) might comment on how he feels from the pro side?

And Part L should only be applicable for new builds, including extensions as generally you have the LABC involved anyway so it's not an extra hassle.

Certainly there needs to be non applicability to DIY or TMH popping a new window in for someone.

I shall certainly try to write something for my (Tory) MP. If I manage, I'll post the draft here for comment so I can get a decently worded letter with the facts straight. Likewise if anyone else does so first, perhaps they'd be kind enough to post their letter here as a modal template for everyone else to nick. If everyone here who cares wrote, that would cover a lot of MPs.

I should ask my BCO if they plan to attack from their end (I'm fairly sure mine thinks Part L and Part P are a load of bollocks by what he said).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's a good idea! I'll happily send a copy to my new (Tory) MP if someone provides a draft.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Strangely, I got a letter from the council today saying my house has been picked as part of a random selection of homes across the area to have a survey on the condition of the house. There will also be an assessment of energy performance. Not sure if I will be given any of the information. The council only gets statistical information, which doesn't identify any particular house.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I got one a while ago. I rejected the 'offer'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You should have said: "Is the officer female and fit? If so, I warmly welcome her to come and assess my energy. She can start by surveying the bedroom ceiling."

Reply to
Tim Watts

When I spoke to a Tory MP a few years back and asked him how many laws he might repeal '100 a week: just watch us' was the jovial reply.

I think there is going to be a stripping out of legislation the like of which has never been seen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Part P is misunderstood by Joe Public. Those that have heard of it think that you need a certificate to change a light fiting or swap an electric cooker, but I suspect that at least over half of the population have no idea that part P exists. I do not believe that Part P generated any more work for me (apart from the paper work) and has not altered the quality of the work I do.

I have seen nightmare electrical installs by both DIYers and NICEIC electricians. I have also seen very good installations by both.

Part P never stopped the DIY bodger, but there are cases of the NICEIC removing members for bad workmanship.

Perhaps our resident NIC member (or members) might comment on how he

Would it be Part L that the BCO and my brother laughed about?. The BCO pointed out that my brothers extension had no low energy light fittings installed. My Brother's reply was priceless "I know, my brother did the electrics and he is using all of his low energy fittings at the moment for another building inspection in Doncaster, as soon as that has passed he will fit them in my extension" The BCO was not bothered as he loved the smoke/heat alarm setup and the fact that a new A rated boiler had been fitted.

I would go with the suggestion that

That would stop a kitchen fitter messing things up for a paying customer and who cares if a DIYer decides to wire an electric shower from the immersion.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

I suspect there will be lot of, "Yes Minister, but..." moments. The Civil Service empire builders won't like being reduced in numbers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On May 13, 7:23=A0pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:.

Likewise I will send a copy to my lib dem MP. They should all be singing to the same tune now, right?

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling