Is this 13amp adapter safe?

Like:

Probably a reflection of most loads of the time being smaller appliances.

(2x 15A loads on a 15A fused circuit using a BS3036 fuse would be right on the margin of tripping the whole circuit - although would probably work for a fair amount of time).

Reply to
John Rumm

Others (eg Charles) will know better than me but 2 x 15A used still to be used in theatres in the noughties. And appears may linger on:

Robin

just because it had a 15A plug didn't mean it took 15A. (Just more than 5- probably). I had a mains radio which had a 15A plug, simply because it was near a 15A socket.

Reply to
charles

As I've just said, using a 15A plug does not mean the equipment is drawing

15 A. Theatric lanterns tended to maximise at 1.2kW, I've still got some taking 650 w.
Reply to
charles

I remember my mother, an obstetrician, being very good at rewiring blown fuses. :)

Unfortunately, the only sewing she could do was a single stitch, knotted. And the catgut tended to rot if it got wet.

Reply to
GB

Yup sure, I was talking domestic of the era when 15A plugs were the norm (and you probably only had three or four in the whole house)

Reply to
John Rumm

While very true, if you were making a two way adaptor, then you had to allow for the possibility. Hence why there were not common items.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh they do - back in the late '80s and early '90s my father was on a couple of the BS1363 committees. I got to see all the notes from the meetings, typed up the revised standards for discussion and even suggested and had included some revised wording here and there (better English rather than anything technical).

The committees were made up, at least partly, from people with long experience in the industry.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Indeed. When we moved into our first house there were 4 x 15A sockets; one in the kitchen and one in each bedroom. There was also a 5A socket in the livingbroom

Reply to
charles

My first memory of them was in a house in the 50s supporting 2 of the 3 x 5A adaptors. Impressed me as a young child so much posher than taking plugs off, twisting wires together and inserting with matchsticks.

Reply to
Robin

Why 15A in the bedrooms? Bedrooms weren't heated in those days.

Reply to
Max Demian

I always thought that my last place (built early 50's) was a bit under served with sockets and added a whole bunch when we moved it. I had assumed that what was there was the original wiring. It's only some years later when I did a complete rewire of the neighbours place that I realised that the original install had four or five 13A sockets in the whole place.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes they were, if someone sick. With a portable electric heater.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They said that about the fireplaces every bedroom had in olden days. I guess I was never sick enough to warrant lighting a fire.

Reply to
Max Demian

Dunno but our house, built in 1947, had one 15A in every room, but nothing in the washhouse because it hadn't occurred to anyone that electric washing machines might happen.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright