Plug adapter question

I've just received an air conditioner (http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi - bin/ajmadison/AJCQ12DCC.html), which was listed as having a B-type, 15 amp plug. I looked online and it matched up with my outlet, which is three prong, two running vertically.
The AC arrived, and the plug has three prongs, two running horizontally.
Is there an adapter I could use? I don't know much about this stuff.
Thanks.
No, that's a 230 volt air condtioner. You need a 230volt outlet. horizointal prongs. mm
Scott Gordo wrote:

You have a 220V A/C. Your plug is 110V. You have 2 choices
1) return the A/C 2) Convert the plug to 220V. If it is a dedicated outlet, it is fairly easy to do. if you have not worked with electric before, it might not be. But basically you replace the single breaker with a double pole breaker ( 15 or 20 A depending what size wire you have), put one hot leg on one pole of the breaker, then remove the circuits neutral leg and put it on the other pole of the breaker.( There is no neutral in 220V, just 2 hots) change the plug, and your good to go.
Of course you would have to see if you have room in your panel for a double pole breaker.
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:25:39 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

Wouldn't wire size matter, if the OP does this?

Not in this case. He has 15 amp 120 volt and needs 15 amp 240 volt. As long as the amperage requirement remains the same, so does the conductor size

I'm not sure I understand your question. The A/C that he has would only pull tops 6 amps at 220V.
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:25:39 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

The chances the existing 120V outlet is a dedicated outlet are very low.
A 3rd option would be to install a 240V outlet for the AC unit.
I don't have a list handy and I certainly have not memorized them, but it sounds like you need a new circuit to match the requirements for that AC. Likely it needs 240V at a specific amps.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Thanks all for the information. I'm going to process it. I live in a largeish apt building, so doing electrical work would be more involved than the actual labor....
Question: was I incorrect to think that a B-type, 15 amp plug would have vertical prongs?

It looks like that is a 30 Amp 220 Volt plug.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Perhaps the building super can do the electrical work for you and you can throw him a couple of bucks for his help.
Do you have a plug for a stove and or dryer in your apt? That should have enough voltage so there wouldn't be a need for electrical work but you may need an adapter from that plug to the type B you have for your a/c
On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 10:14:09 PM UTC-5, Jake wrote:

If you have a basement with limited access so that a new oil tank and oil boiler can't be brought in, I understand that. The rest of the stuff, ie CO, explosions regarding direct vent is just FUD. There are tens of millions operating and I haven't heard of any more incidents of these events than occur with chimney vented. In fact, I haven't heard of a CO death from a direct vent so far, but I have heard of plenty of them with old direct vent furnaces that they replaced. I have a direct vent nat gas furnace, it's cut my heating bills by more than half and no explosions or CO here.
On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 10:41:56 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Another real intelligent reply. First, it's a ten year old post, the AC was likely returned or if used, it's kaput by now. Second, who puts there AC where the stove or dryer is located? Third, stoves and dryers are typically 240V, the poster specifically said it's a 120V AC. Fourth, the poster asked about an adapter, yet your answer is to tell them that they need an adapter. The better question is how did a major appliance store ship some intl AC to what is apparently a US customer.