230V plug into a (type A) socket that looks like 120V (but is actually 220V) - is there such an adapter?

So, we have a dedicated socket for the A/C, which looks like a plain 120V s ocket, but it's not, I measured it and it has 220V coming through. So, once we get the 230V A/C in, how can I plug it in that socket?

I've tried looking online and have been having a very hard time trying to f igure out (1) whether such an adapter (horizontal prong female to vertical prong male) exists, and (2) how even to express this idea in a way that I c ould get anything meaningful from Amazon or whatever.

Unfortunately it's an apartment with absent landlords, so I can't easily ch ange the socket. I'm fairly sure there must be an adapter of this type some where, but I can't seem to find it...

Anyway, any pointers anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Hoai

Reply to
hoai2k

If you do, indeed, have an outlet like you describe, then it's trivial to purchase a five foot high amperage extension cord and a 220V female jack. Cut the regular

120V female end off the cord, wire in the 220 one.

Ten minutes of work. ten to fifteen dollars.

Ofcourse, the better solution is to replace the outlet with the right one.

Reply to
danny burstein

Sounds like someone half ass wired it. It does not meet code if i a

120V receptacle wired with 220. You won't find a legal adapter. I know how to make one but it is not legal and if anyone gets hurt, it won't be from me.

Turnoff the breaker and change the receptacle. It is a 10 minute job and will be safe.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The pictures here may help you decide what you have

Retired

Sounds like you either have a NEMA 240v 2-15R receptacle or an improperly wired 120v 1-15R receptacle.

Reply to
Dildo

Agreed. Under no circumstances would it be permissible to use a 115v outlet for 220.

Reply to
philo

On Thu 25 May 2017 08:30:16p, philo told us...

Unfortunately people do a lot things that aren't permissible.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On my job, a customer actually cut the tab off the ground tine on an incorrect 3 phase 460v plug and inserted it in the socket sideways.

It put 460 volts to the case of the equipment and left one phase unpowered.

The idiot could have gotten someone killed.

Reply to
philo

On Fri 26 May 2017 05:01:31a, philo told us...

Many people are electrically challenged.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

*Horizontal prong are 220, "only Vertical prongs are 120", that is not mistake and it is legal>*

Sounds like someone half ass wired it. It does not meet code if i a

120V receptacle wired with 220. You won't find a legal adapter. I know how to make one but it is not legal and if anyone gets hurt, it won't be from me.

Turnoff the breaker and change the receptacle. It is a 10 minute job and will be safe.

Reply to
Tony944

Not sure what you are talking about. The OP said it looks just like a

120 but has 220V. that is not legal. He is looking for an adapter to put his 220 horizontal plug on the AC cord into.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You are mistaken and wrong! Nema 2-30R and 2-30P 240v plugs/receptacles have vertical blades.

Reply to
Bill
[snip]

When I was 7, we lived in an old apartment that had strange duplex receptacles we could use only one part of. They must have been like #4 in that diagram.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

+1
Reply to
trader_4

What he has is 6-20r or p

NEMA 6-20R USA power cord receptacle with cUL certification. Built to the NEMA 6-20R standard. Rated up to 20A 250V. Our NEMA 6-20R power cord receptacles are fully molded with a low profile ergonomic design and RoHS and REACH compliant.

NEMA 6-20R power cord receptacle.

You are mistaken and wrong! Nema 2-30R and 2-30P 240v plugs/receptacles have vertical blades.

Reply to
Tony944

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting a link to a hosting site where you have your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting a link to a hosting site where you have your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Yes I know sorry about that!!!!!

Reply to
Tony944

On 5/29/2017 5:28 PM, Tony944 wrote: "Gordon Shumway"  wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... On Sat, 27 May 2017 15:33:28 -0700 Sat, 27 May 2017 15:33:28 -0700, "Tony944" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com>,"Tony944" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote: "Ed Pawlowski"  wrote in message news:TJ_VA.112077$ snipped-for-privacy@fx15.iad... On 5/26/2017 2:25 PM, Tony944 wrote: "Ed Pawlowski"  wrote in message news:fnMVA.129945$ snipped-for-privacy@fx33.iad... On 5/25/2017 10:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: So, we have a dedicated socket for the A/C, which looks like a plain 120V socket, but it's not, I measured it and it has 220V coming through. So, once we get the 230V A/C in, how can I plug it in that socket? I've tried looking online and have been having a very hard time trying to figure out (1) whether such an adapter (horizontal prong female to vertical prong male) exists, and (2) how even to express this idea in a way that I could get anything meaningful from Amazon or whatever. *Horizontal prong are 220, "only Vertical prongs are 120", that is not mistake and it is legal>* Not sure what you are talking about.  The OP said it looks just like a 120 but has 220V.  that is not legal.   He is looking for an adapter to put his 220 horizontal plug on the AC cord into. Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting a link to a hosting site where you have your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK? Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995.  We're not on 2400 dialup.  Just post the picture here if you want.

Reply to
Larry

Well, Tony, Larry Dumb ASS is far from the best troll to take advice from. Ignore him.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

is a good configuration chart.

Besides the other comments about just configuration, what's the required amperage the A/C unit requires and is the receptacle wired sufficiently to provide that?

If it's got a 15A plug and 14 ga wiring, that's a lot more of a fire hazard with a device pulling 20-30A perhaps than just the plug configuration...

Reply to
dpb