230V plug into a (type A) socket that looks like 120V (but is actually 220V) - is there such an adapter?

I vote to post the picture here as well. The problem with "free" picture hosting sites is all the javascript crap that runs before the picture is displayed...and I personally don't trust javascript from those places.

Reply to
Barry

The original charter of the group with USENET says no binaries. Technology has changed and perhaps the charter should be changed but it was valid in the past. Some servers won't take the attached file.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The bigger issue is that the majority of free Usenet providers will not carry the binaries. I can post a binary here through Easynews and it will be carried by the paid services, but stripped by Eternal September, Google Groups, etc.

A good image hosting site, one without much advertising is imgur.com. I use uBlock Origin and that site is acceptable.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

And how did that work out for Tony or anyone else? Anyone see a pic? There are binary newsgroups where you can successfully post pics, but this isn't one of them.

The problem with "free"

I guess that depends on the particular hosting site. But at least you can usually see the pic.

Reply to
trader_4

Okay, so after this conversation I looked closer at the socket, and it turn s out the culprit is not the electrician, but the painter, because they pai nted over top of the sideways part of the socket, making it appear to be on ly vertical, but actually it is supposed to also support horizontal tines. Wish I could post the picture, but I'm not sure how to do it on Google grou ps?

I guess I'll use an adapter for now since I don't think I want to play with trying to "clean up" the socket, unless there's an easy and safe way of do ing it...?

I measured the volts again, and it comes up as 210-215V. From what I've rea d "230V" is actually a range between 220-240, but... does this difference m atter, or is it within normal expected range for 230V devices (e.g. A/C)?

Thanks again for all your input!

Cheers, Hoai

Reply to
hoai2k

Here's the picture:

hoai2k

(Here's the picture)

hoai2k

If usenet is to thrive, we need to strip the silly rules and regulations.

Reply to
Trumpster

If I was paying money for usenet access, I'd want binary capabilities. FWIW, giganews.com is awesome.

Reply to
Trumpster

I can't help it you chose a junk usenet provider. Give giganews a shot, they're awesome!

Reply to
Trumpster

You can NOT post binaries to a non binary group. It's not a case of bandwidth - it is a case of the setup of the group. Alt.Home.Repair is NOT a Binary capable list.

Reply to
clare

Sure looks european and ancient to me. The round "ground" is a give-away. Regardless, I doubt it meets ANY code today.

Reply to
clare

I've used

Easy to use, free, not a bunch of crap with it. If I see a link to tinypic I won't even click on it. Many ads and often no picture.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been here for over a decade and have yet to see anyone sharing a pic directly on here, have never seen any people discussing pics posted directly here. AFAIK, it's not a newsgroup that supports pics. And I have no interest in screwing around with usenet providers when Google Groups is free and works for me as well as others here.

Reply to
trader_4

Giganews is good but Blocknews is as good but much cheaper You can get 5 gigs for 2.75 and that will last most of us a year or more.

Ed Pawlowski

There have been a half dozen or so binary images posted to this group since 27 May 2017.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman
[snip]

I've seen some pictures here. I don't like the larger ones that get split over more than 1 message.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

And I have not seen a single one, usingAgent on Eternal September

Reply to
clare

What happened Clare? This morning you put me in the "bit bucket." How did I get out so quickly?

LOL

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

No idea.