is there any alternative to sanding down paintwork?

I need to repaint some internal doors in my flat - the present coat is a rather dull gloss, so it might be 'satin finish'.

Every paint tin 've read recommends that I sand down the paintwork before repainting. The problem is, I have severe asthma, and I'm very worried about the dust - both while I'm working, and afterwards when I'm living in the room concerned. Even sanders that boast 'micro filtration' only seem to guarantee to catch 80% of the dust.

I know this is a long-shot, but is there any alternative? A chemical you can brush on, for instance?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
gormand53

Well its simple.

Remove the door and get some proper wet and dry paper from Halfords, and use it wet. Essentially keep rinsing it in a bucket of warm slightly soapy water.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you think the previous layered paint on the doors is decent? then there is no reason to sand down the doors to apply another coat of paint. Just wipe the doors down with white spirits to eliminate any grease or dirt.

Reply to
George

Or take doors off and get someone else to sand them down outside.

Reply to
Rod

I've sometimes used a very dilute paint mix in white spirit which gives a tacky key for the top coat. I can't say what difference it makes, but it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Reply to
OG

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote in

If the surface really is flat and you're just wanting to add a top coat, you might try Liquid Sander:

PeterMcC

I have similar problems with dust and use this a lot with good results.

rrh

I agree that taking the door off and outside is best - take care if it is hardboard in case the hardboard gets wet at the edges.

Not convinced about the liquid stuff as I feel there are always some surface blips that need to be smoothed down.

Lay the door flat to paint it - you can then do the top and bottom better - and won't get runs.

Reply to
John