Is there a switch that can do this?........

Im after a switch that i can press and will turn the power OFF for a given amount of time.

it will only turn a fillter to my fish tank off while the fish eat the food. I have often forgoten to turn it back on hence the need for this type of switch.

I know you can buy a switch that can turn the lights on for a given time ( a timer switch) but i can seem to find something to do the oposite.

Many thanks

Reply to
s4nju

Maplin do a timer kit which will do this - it includes a changeover relay so can be either on or off for the timed cycle. Part number VF06 at 9.99. Time adjustable from 'several seconds to 15 minutes' It would also need a

12 volt DC power supply and a box to put it all in. Should be possible for under 20 quid total. It's a very simple kit to build and suitable for beginners.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Assuming that I couldn't find a suitable switch, I'd use a relay to change the action.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Put a clothes peg on filter switch. When you come to switch it off, put the peg on your nose to remind you to turn the pump back on and return the peg.

Reply to
Guy King

If you decide against the switch idea a £3 cooker timer is good for reminding when something needs doing. I use one often for time-critical DIY jobs.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

2 way vacuum switch will be perfect for this.
Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Yes. Have a look at staircase timers at RS Components. Normally these are a timed on, but I hink there are some with a changeover contact that would do the job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Does anyone make an electronic version? The old pneumatic type might be difficult to mount other than in a wall due to the effort needed to operate.

The Vellerman timer from Maplin has push button operation and the push button could be mounted in a convenient location. Safe, too, as the timer is 12 volts and the mains switching a relay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the timer switch you are speaking off is the kind I am thinking of then they can turn power off and on depending on where you site the pins so I don't see why you are saying they are not suitable .They sit between the socket and the plug .

Stuart

Yes absolutely.

Go to the RS site and search on "staircase"

There are also some multifunctiion timers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not much use on my browser since they re-vamped the site. Entering 'staircase' gives me the French language site. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)