Is replacement of bathroom downlighters notifiable work?

Hi

I want to replace the R80 downlighters in our bathroom with IP65 LED units.

Is this notifiable work under Part P? (I am not a certified electrician).

Best regards

David

Reply to
davidandbella

No, like for like replacement is fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John

Thanks for your answer, so would replacing R80 halogen with IP65 LED integrated unit count as like-for-like?

Best regards

David

Reply to
davidandbella

"Like for like" is sometimes difficult to define (the same sort of criterion is also used in other industries). However, the fact that you understand IP65 and thought to ask the question gives me confidence in your ability. More to the point, who is to know!

Reply to
newshound

My LED replacement cheapskate alternative, keeping the existing downlighter fitting.

This is using a Golf Ball styled E14/SES 3W LED bulb from Poundland with an ES/SES adaptor from Amazon poked through a enlarged hole (circular sheet punch) in a scrap freebie CD, that was persuaded (er, bent crazily) through the fixture opening.

Wanway E27 to E14 Socket Converter, ES to SES (97p free delivery on the slow boat from china)

Adrian Caspersz

I suspect few diyers would care.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suspect that translates to 'I don't know'.

Reply to
Scott

Yes... replacing one light fitting with another would be like for like.

Extending the circuit by adding and additional fitting would not be a like for like change.

Given I have never met anyone who has notified LABC for an electrical only job[1], the whole question seems to be a bit of a moot point.

[1] I asked a local BCO once how many building notices they get for electrical jobs on their own (i.e. not part of other building work). He thought for a bit and said "none so far"!
Reply to
John Rumm

And even that would probably not be notifiable.

ARW

Even with the reductions in scope, I would have thought this particular example would be caught by

"C) Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location"

As a bathroom remains a special location.

Reply to
John Rumm

Only the zones around the bath and shower are special locations. If the ceiling is higher than 2.25m then it is outside the zones and is not prat P notifiable.

Note that the link I gave does not call the room a bathroom but "a room containing a bath or shower".

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Very helpful.

David

Reply to
davidandbella