Is CAT6 worth it for home networking?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:47:14 +0100,it is alleged that Timothy Murphy spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Yes there's a phone in the attic. Don't *want* to answer the phone in the loo. Long cord will reach the garden.

Clarity. And lack of unnecessary complication.

Reply to
Chip

You didn't read what I said. One of the ones in the living room is by the TV, in case we get a Sky box. The other two are on opposite sides of the room, so that we don't have to trail wires if we move the room round.

The concept of having a plug in phone extends to plugging in MORE THAN ONE PHONE. Do you understand what we meant by MSN? Multiple numbers...so that different family members can have their own phone. DECT doesn't hack it when there are multiple extensions from (in my case) three lines and ten numbers.

This house is big, and rambling. It's nice to phone people elsewhere in the house. And have a doorphone you can answer in any room. And release the door lock without going downstairs (possibly from the attic).

As for networking...wired is easier, more reliable (we have thick walls) and faster. And more secure.

How much does Cat5e cost wnyway? A couple of reels cost me 50 quid. The sockets are a maximum of a fiver. Compare that to wireless interfaces and the costs look good.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's the one. But I don't like Linux so I'm going to try and run it on FreeBSD.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And proper phones have proper bells[1], not seagull larynxes[2].

Owain

[1] At least my Tele 8782 do. [2] Cue discussion on the vocal systems of birds.
Reply to
Owain

Nope.

Just one.

I had somebody else do the digging in the garden. Trunking was installed and I can run any signal cables in it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:07:21 +0100,it is alleged that Owain spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Indeed, I have many 8746s, a few 8782s, and a metric carpload[3] of

706s, 746s, 721s, 741s and misc bits.

Compared to modern phones, _amazingly_ loud.

[3] cue discussion of the differing amounts of carp in a metric and imperial carpload, and how american carp is different than imperial carp and it's all a government conspiracy to do us out of goldfish.
Reply to
Chip

I like FreeBSD as well, certainly for appliance and firewall type solutions.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I like it because I've been using BSD since about 1978!

Reply to
Bob Eager

We (BT Fulcrum, was it called that then?) did 746's for a while before they went to be refurbed in Wales somewhere.

I can remember buffing a case on an electric mop (in the training school) before going into 'Datel' for 5 years .. ;-)

Those where the days ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I seem to have strayed into the uk.luddite newsgroup ...

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I see. Another afficionado. :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh yes I'd forgotten that, the old place had a central bell of the PABX, not got the tuit for installing such things here yet. Mind you with 18" solid stone walls each part of the building needs it's own bell...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

At least that suff will survive the EMP! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:23:39 GMT,it is alleged that T i m spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

This is true. But the telephone exchange wouldn't these days

I *do* admit to being a bit of a luddite when it comes to telecommunications gear, but that's the beauty of a free country, Timothy is free to use the most modern gear, I can use the oldest stuff I can find, and it all Just Works (tm).

You can even intermix the stuff, although some DECT handsets ignore the bell wire and thus ring when you're doing outgoing pulse dialing on an 8746, and of course this effect will also occur if you have ADSL with multiple microfilters.

OnTopic: I would say yes to the Cat6 unless 5e is cheaper, it probably

*will* be obsolete before the next changeover in networking standards. WiFi is another possibility, but the rather serious speed limitations put me off. I do lots of file transfers of >1Gb backup files between machines on the assumption that all the computers are unlikely to burst into flames at the same moment. 54Mbit wifi would halve the speed, even assuming a perfect connection, and it's more difficult to secure.
Reply to
Chip