Is 80gms paper getting thinner?

The ink is okay. I omitted to mention that I used the ink and printer on my last few sheets of decent paper. It was fine

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I'm surprised that you do so little printing that you can manage with an ancient printer and 10 year stockpile of paper. I print a lot including articles or web pages that I find too tiring to read on screen. I go through loads of paper.

Reply to
pamela

Is this recycled paper? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The original ?350 HP printer packed in ages ago, I was given a Epson Stylus R300 which came with ink carts, exempt the black which was of course was empty on the printer. Got some online and the printer printed fine on the last sheets of decent paper.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Get a better screen.

I spend all day looking at screens, and don't have a problem. I usually only print things when I want a hard copy record to file.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I bought a couple of reams this afternoon, £1.99 each at Clas Ohlson. I've been using this stuff for a while, it's good quality.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

A0 is one square metre. A4 is one sixteenth of a square meter. One sheet of 80gsm A4 weighs 5g.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Yes, but probably less than they used to. In the latter part of the last century, china clay was extensively used both as a filler and coating for paper. The filler contributed to opacity and stopped the print on the underside of a sheet from being visible from the top side, and the coating smoothed out the surface roughness of the raw cellulose fibres and improved the print quality. Heavily coated paper would be 'calendered', i.e. polished, to give a very glossy surface, as found in up-market glossy magazines. Such paper could contain up to

25% by weight of china clay, both filler and coating.

These days much of the filler and quite a lot of the coating is replaced by finely ground calcium carbonate, either ground chalk or ground marble. Much of the marble comes from Carrara in northern Italy. There are extensive waste tips there, produced by the quarries as they cut the marble for dimension stone and sculpting stone over the centuries.

Chris Hogg

=A35 including delivery, buying 5 reams at once. Show me where you pay = =A32!

-- =

Thank you velly much. I'm not Wan King the chef, I'm Fu King the owner.=

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

0.1mm per sheet - a good way to count it is to use a micrometer.
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I know a lot of paper these days fluoresces under UV light, but that's not from its uranium content! (They actually add fluorescent dyes to the mix to make it appear extra white, in much the same way as they add them to detergents to make your whites whiter, and fluoresce under 'black light' i.e. UV illumination in night clubs etc)). Besides, uranium salts are yellow, which isn't what paper mfrs want.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Wouldn't that make it extra purple?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

New persic, washes your togas even purpler.

Reply to
Clive George

Why would you actually want to count it?

Reply to
Judith

To print 200 sheets of something. Despite this being the 21st century, printers are useless at counting. They tend to forget where they got up to when the cartridge runs out etc.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You forgot to tell us what the problem was, but generally inkjet should pri nt onto any paper. Lasers can suffer dropouts due to conductive patches in recycled paper.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

See

Most 'white' systems absorb very slightly more light at the blue end of the spectrum than at the red end. This gives them a very slightly yellow cast, but we're used to it and don't normally notice until it gets significant. The optical brighteners absorb in the UV and fluoresce in the blue, so enhancing the apparent reflectivity at that end of the spectrum, offsetting the yellow cast and making the paper or fabric look extra white. But if you use too much, or indeed expose the stuff to a stronger UV source than normal daylight, then yes it would and does make them look a bit purple.

Uranium fluoresces in the yellow.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I just got some on eBay for £5 including postage, delivered the day after ordering.

Bob Martin

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I had an issue with inkjet printing on the back of semi-gloss paper. Last years Christmas cards. Front printed fine but the salutation on the back smudged.

Technology defeats farmer! Does *best photo* mean more ink or less?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There's a hole in my bucket dear birdbrain, dear birdbrain. The OP was complaining about the variable thickness of 80gsm paper which suggests the density of the sheets - and hence the thickness - is variable.

A better way to 'count' sheets would be to weigh them. Each A4 sheet occupies an area of 0.06237m2 (297 x 210mm). Therefore 16.0333493666827 sheets per m2. Each sheet must always weigh 0.200416867083534 grams regardless of thickness (otherwise it is not 80gsm paper).

Reply to
Andy Bennet