Iphone FaceTime - possible on 2G ?

A friend is convinced his Iphone is using 2G, but he uses Facetime which works full speed. I think he is misreading what it says on the screen and that he must be on 4G. Is FaceTime even possible on 2G?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Is it possible that the phone is indeed on 2G but faceTime is actually going over a connected WiFi link?

Reply to
Andrew May

One time he was in the sticks, fishing, so no..

He's on EE and suggests it says EE 2G.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You might get always with facetime audio, but not video. Personally, I'd suspect he is at home and hence logged into his wifi or something like that. What part of the world is he in that does not have even3G? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I understood that EE only do 3 and 4G in most places.

Indeed the old systems are supposed to be obsolete in some areas as my old phone would say no signal a lot since it was pre 3g.

He needs to look at his settings app. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just half a mile from me and I always get 4G. He says it shows 2 where ever he goes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Then that's the problem, its not really 2G whatever his phone says.

Reply to
Swer

I agree, but you try convincing him lol

I just didn't think FaceTime could work on 2G and wanted to check.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tell him to do a speed test.

Bill