Interesting survey results..and look what Gordon said.

Although I suppose the antis will be saying 'well they would say that, wouldn't they?'
However it does suggest that people living near power stations would be unlikely to ppose new ones on the same sites., which is encouraging.
From: http://89.151.116.69/NP-UK_opinion_swinging_towards_nuclear-2506087.html
UK opinion swinging towards nuclear 25 June 2008
Over half of the respondents to a new public opinion survey feel that the UK should increase its nuclear capacity and those living closest to existing nuclear plants are most strongly in favour of new nuclear.
The survey of 1100 people, carried out on behalf of Utility Week magazine and management consulting company Accenture in April 2008, found that support for nuclear in the UK has increased by 30% over the last five years. Some 88% of the respondents agreed it is important that the UK reduce its reliance on power generated from fossil fuels, with 33% wanting to do this by increasing use of nuclear power. While 85% of respondents would like to see the UK increase the use of renewables, only 25% thought that renewables alone could fill the gap in reducing the country's reliance on fossil-fuelled generated power.
The survey also found that over half of the respondents felt generally that the UK should increase its nuclear generating capacity. Attitudes were most positive amongst those already living near nuclear power plants. (Nuclear power plant employees were excluded from the survey.)
When asked who they would most trust most to deliver safe new nuclear power plants,61% said they would trust UK-led consortia, while 7% opted for nuclear consortia with foreign leadership. 31% said they trusted no-one.
Radioactive waste handling and plant safety were highlighted as recurring reasons against nuclear growth cited by respondents. However, the survey found respondents were slightly more concerned about rising carbon dioxide levels over the next 20 years than they were about nuclear waste.
The UK has recently embarked on a program to pursue nuclear new build, and prime minister Gordon Brown recently told an oil producers' summit in Saudi Arabia that the *UK is committed to the "biggest expansion of nuclear power in Europe."* It has also embarked on a program to build a geological disposal facility for the country's higher level nuclear wastes, and has invited communities to register their interest as potential sites.

Indeed. It showa an increasing maturity of opinion amongst the public, that, while renewables are very important (85%), they won't fill the gap and we need nuclear, and that the operation of nuclear plants is not the problem but waste disposal, and it is a problem to be solved rather than shied away from. Perhaps we can move forward to a future where society doesn't actually break down?...
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Bob Mannix wrote:

reading thorogh the rest of that site, and links, its pretty clear that apart from Germany, which actually has anti nuclear legislation that needs repealing, and the USA, which although it has the technology it doesn't seem to feel the need to use it, the rest of the world cannot wait to get lots of lovely nuclear energy going.
Looks like *the* growth industry for the next 50 years anyway.

Nuclear is banned in Italy too.
--
Roland Perry

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:07:05 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Although I think it's over 20% of the US's energy is nuclear-derived now, and I've heard *lots* of talk about building new plants - so I'm not sure about that site's info (I've not read through it yet myself)
Oddly enough, when I was in the UK I often heard people say that the US was very anti-nuclear. Now I've moved across the pond, it seems that isn't really true; US folk are no more or less against nuclear power than people in the UK (but there has in the past probably been less of a push for it in the US due to ample other resources)

Agreed. Likely a very wise investment right now... (that and Japanese car manufacturers)
cheers
Jules

I expect it to be mushrooming...
K.

With the cost of storage why has no one considered the possibility of dumping it in the Sun. That would absorb all we have and the whole Earth without even noticing it.
There must be a point of viability for this?
EricP wrote:

This has been thought of. Many times. Would you wish the launchpad for this to be in your backyard? (If it were to go wrong the consequences could be significant.)
--
Rod

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:55:21 +0100, Rod wrote:

The transportation costs would be 'out of this world' too. ;-)
Don.
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:42:01 +0100, "Cerberus ."

OK, send it to China. :-)
Derek

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:24:19 +0100, Derek Geldard wrote:

What a waste. Stick it somewhere nobody wants (Scotland?) and leave it there until we finally get a working fusion reactor, then chuck it all in and turn it into lead or any of the other base metals which we are going to run out of useful stocks of at about the same time as we run out of oil...
EricP wrote:

To be sure, the rocket would melt before it got there...
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

That doesn't really matter. As long as it ends up in the sun.
however drilling a hole through to the earths core and dumping it there so it migrates to the center of the earth, is more practical.
On 2008-07-08 18:53:34 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

Not if they went at night.
Andy Hall wrote:

:-)
Glad someone was paying attention :-)
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Not, as they say, if you send it at night
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

LOL But educate me here, just what fires up a nuclear reactor?
Dave

A bit of kindling, some newspaper, a box of matches, a few lunches with Sarko and a substantial contract with Areva.
Andy Hall wrote:

I understood that as a child, but as I get older, I can't remember the base fuel for a reactor. If I could speak to my brother who worked in that industry, I wouldn't have asked my question. He is in Australia and fast asleep right now :-)
Dave

Not a fast breeder then ...
--
geoff