Interesting factode - bank DD's

I see absolutely no ambiguity whatsoever in using the time of 00:00. If you're finding this ambiguous, may I respectfully suggest you steer well clear of any measurement tasks involving the use of a ruler? :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

That's a rather 'interesting take' on the interpretation of the table shown in that wiki article. So, for you, 00:00 is _both_ "today" _and_ "tomorrow". :-)

In a way, you're correct but only for the briefest and purest of transient events. Time is nothing if not transient.

A clock can only record transient events for brief historic periods, minute by minute with a 4 digit display or second by second with a 6 digit display where the historic periods are 60 seconds and 1 second respectively.

When a 4 digit clock shows 23:59, the best we can say is that we're less than 60 seconds away from the start of a new day (and we won't know that we're less than 60 seconds into the first minute of the new day until the clock display wraps back around to 00:00.

Considering all the debate that's taken place in this thread, I can't really blame the banks and others for avoiding the problem by cheating.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Yes, counting from 0 to 60 seconds is a total of 61 seconds. Radio controlled clocks and devices linked to internet time servers will have the correction automatically applied. All other timepieces will require a manual adjustment to, in this case, retard them by one whole second.

Reply to
Johny B Good

You might think of the clock display as reporting an event, but I think of it as reporting a time interval. Life is much simpler that way.

It makes perfect sense to use 00:00-24:00 to represent events, but not intervals. That's why a clock would never show 24:00, but a timer might.

We should be thankful that we're not in the USA, where debate rages endlessly about whether a timer's 12 AM means noon or midnight. And "military time" is just that, Not For Civilian Use.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

The point was, that I have never given it any thought before - I had always assumed the DD's would be paid in and taken out at random times of day, throughout the day/date.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Umm, no. DD processing will be part of the daily batch(es) on their mainframe and I would expect them to be run at much the same time every day, as you have seen.

Reply to
Huge