[?] Installing recessed ceiling lights with no easy access from floor above.

Bloody northerners and there funny ceilings:-)

Reply to
ARW

Installation methods 100,101 and 102 all show the cable laying on the plasterboard.

Reply to
ARW

Hadn't come across that! What a bizarre and unfortunate combination of faults.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Many thanks to all those who responded to my posting and for the interesting and useful comments made.

ATB - Dave

Reply to
Dave Chapman

Hello - me again!

I'm planning to install 9 low-voltage (12v) fire-resistant LED downlights in our kitchen ceiling and have noted with interest all of the comments so far made to my original posting.

I'm now wondering if there's any good reason why I can't use just one suitably rated 240v - 12v transformer mounted above the old centre-light position, supplying all 9 of the LED downlights using low-voltage cabling.

This low-voltage approach would obviate the possible problems associated with running AC mains cabling through the joists to feed the downlights with 240 v, and the installation of the wiring could then be done much more safely using the 'cut slots in plasterboard, run wiring, and replaster over' technique.

Any thoughts/comments on this alternative approach?

TIA - Dave.

Reply to
Dave Chapman

It might be SELV (extra low voltage) but don't overlook the fire risk that still exists.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My honest opinion is - Go for it.

Make sure the transformer is replaceable -ie it fits through a spotlight hole.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
ARW