Installing patio on feet/ legs/ pedestals

Hi All,

I am finally getting around to sorting out our patio. I am thinking of using porcelain tiles and have seen these feet/ legs/ pedestal things which you put under the tiles rather than cementing them down. An example is...

but there appear to be a number of variations.

My logic was that if I used these I could lay the patio myself and also if we ever wanted to change it we could always sell the existing tiles.

Has anyone used these before? Would be interested in any thoughts/ experience. I have a concrete base about 100/ 150mm below the finished floor level and this concrete base has drainage at that level also so the rain going through the tiles should not be an issue for me.

Thanks in advance for your help

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

Nice idea but looks like a lovely place for rats to nest...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> writes

Not seen that before. Something similar used for flooring in computer installations where underfloor connecting cables are regularly re-routed.

Curious to know how you finish at an edge without the supports being visible.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have laid these as a professional flagger and they are slow and expensive. Just my opinion but if you have a base it would be better and cheaper to pay someone to lay them on mortar.

Reply to
jimmy

Thanks Jimmy. A couple of follow on questions if I may.

  1. Were the legs stable once fitted? Whilst I have a concrete base to put them on, I suspect there may be a few lumps and bumps so worried it may cause the legs to wobble.
  2. What made them slow to use? I guess I had assumed you put them on the concrete base and turn them until level with the ones on the other corners and pop the tile on? Whereas with laying them on mortar you have the knocking/ reseating to get them all level?
  3. For my situation I have say 100mm to make up under the tiles. If I were to lay them on mortar (assume wet cement under entire tile?) would I be able to make up the 100mm or would I have to say cover with 75mm base first, let it set and then go on top with the tiles and new mortar?
  4. Any idea roughly how much labour charge would be? I am based in the South East and it is around 100m2

thanks

Lee.

3.
Reply to