Oiling of garage door

A new motor was installed for my Everest Garage door in 2010. The door needs oiling or greasing. I am unable to do this myself. Could an engineer come when working in the area? BA1 5TG

Reply to
Pauline Gough

Pauline Gough presented the following explanation :

Yes of course, just post your full address and contact details for the world to see.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Might have a better chance of a useful response by posting in a local Facebook group. Or go back to the people who did the 2010 job.

Reply to
newshound

Just a local handyman? Check the instructions - sometimes runners just need to be clean otherwise they attract grit.

Reply to
JohnP

There is a web page for that.

I think you can make a service request there.

*******

The garage door has to be balanced first, for best operation. The wound spring is a counterbalance of forces, and makes it easier for the motor to move it up and down.

"How to Balance Your Garage Door - YouTube"

Once it is balanced, then the less obvious issues, like lubrication for the moving parts, comes next.

The motor is undersized, for just "deadlifting" the door. The ideal situation for the motor, is if the door seems "weightless", then the motor can easily move it, at a relatively constant speed, up and down.

Lubrication only goes in certain places, because lubrication attracts dust and dirt and those "grind" precision metal surfaces. The engineer will know what to lube, and what needs to be cleaned up.

Paul

Reply to
Paul