Decking/ Patio options

Hi All,

I have been looking at options to finish our patio off - at the moment it is a concrete slab - around 60mm below finished floor so would need to be uilt up for some options.

I like the option of porcelain tiles but from what I have read, they would need to be 20mm thick (pricey) and also some say it needs special adhesive (again pricey) rather than sand/ cement. Also, was thinking of doing it myself but the thought of lugging these heavy tiles around and my lack of patience in getting them level etc. doesn't fill me with joy. I have around 100m2 so am assuming the labour for someone else to do it will be quite a bit.

Using these tile pedestals

would mean I could fit myself and removes the adhesive/ cement etc. although would still require 20mm tiles and I couldn't find anyone that had used them. Also, with the gaps between the tiles wonder whether there will be an issue with muck etc getting down the gaps? Anyone used these?

I stumbled across these from Ikea which have a plastic click base which creates a framework for you to put your tiles into - no adhesive etc.

look like they fit 30cm x 30cm x 12mm tiles (which you can also get from Ikea). Seems quick and easy to do and presumably I could buy any suitable tiles from elsewhere. Whilst not perfect ( I would rather larger tiles) conceptually look like a good possible solution that I could fit myself. Has anyone any experience with these? Also, do you know of any similar products?

My other thought was composite decking. Whilst I prefer the look of porcelain tiles as opposed to the wood look I could fit this myself. One thing I was concerned about is that the gaps between the boards would let muck etc. through. I did find some T&G composite boards which would resolve that problem I guess. I have tried looking for plastic tiles which look more like porcelain rather than wood (e.g. a plain grey colour) but couldn't find anything. Would appreciate your thoughts on fitting options for the decking.

Trying to keep costs down, any other options I should consider?

Many thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

Pretty expensive lumps of plastic though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That will be at least 3 grand just for the tiles/stones. I'd say another 3 to lay it.

Its a HUGE job.

30m2 took me about 4 weeks INSIDE You can use floor grade tiles but support them well - no dot and dab. Fully mortar bedded.

My mistake was to infill with solid mortar grout. Cant handle the expansion Just use sand possibly with a smidge of white cement.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Didnt take me anything even remotely like that long.

Just one day in fact.

Reply to
Rod Speed