Insecure Radiators

I have installed ,but not connected to the sytem yet,two Screwfix Rads .They come with four small plastic widgets that you fit in to the brackets which as far as I know are to prevent the rad slipping from side to side . One of the rads and the two previous ones I have fitted are held securely in the brackets but the fourth one is still too easily moved even with the plastic wedges fitted . The pipe tails are

15mm but the rest is 10mm so there is a bit of movement available but I'm not sure if this will still be the case when the pipework is complete .....I wondered if tapping the part of the bracket that the wedge sits in to close it up would work or if anyone can suggest anything else ...maybe you have experienced this problem ...or perhaps I am worrying unduly about a problem that isn't really a problem.
Reply to
Usenet Nutter

then plumbers

--

Reply to
Stuart B

I thought that the plastic wedges were to prevent metal to metal expansion and contraction noises.

Reply to
PJ

Correct. They aren't to stop movement - actually quite the opposite, to allow movement without making a noise.

Position the wall brackets so they're either both on the outside of the raditor rear bracket, or both on the inside. Then it can't move much. Tends to only be an issue with lighter weight small rads.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They could well be .I did think of that as well but there's nothing with the rads to say what purpose they serve .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Yeah I can see that would sort it ...would need to be a lot more precise with measurements tho' No?

Could always remove the rad after marking the bracket on the rad and stick a couple of small self tappers in each side of where the wall bracket will sit .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

BUT ...Just checked it with pipes connected and it seems steady enough so doesn't look like a problem

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Probably the cause of their insecurity. They need to know their role in the world and may need much reassurance. Eventually they will overcome their current low self-esteem and will radiate confidence.

Reply to
Rod

I was unhappy with 3 small rads. on plastic pipe, especially as the occupier was disabled and tended to grab at things to keep balance! Managed to get quite wide cable ties round the brackets - still allowed a bit of movement but held things together.

Reply to
PeterC