Insect screens

Those of you with good memories will recall that I have asked about UK suppliers of aluminium framed insect screens for windows. I've previously purchased the "loose mesh and velcro" types, but they're pretty rubbish. We had them for all the rooms in my last house, but had to leave them behind because they'd been cut to size. The supplier for them has long gone.

Some inspired Googling (motivated by the heat, I suspect) led me to these;

OK, they're in Germany, but the price isn't too bad (some places wanted 3 times as much) and delivery next week.

If anyone's interested, I'll post a review once it's come (I ordered one to see if they're any good. If so, I'll get some more) and I've put it together and installed it.

Reply to
Huge

I'd be interested. At the minute we can only open the fanlight at night, otherwise the cat goes out on the windowledge.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Huge formulated the question :

We had entire success (no flies got in), last year and so far this year

- by fitting one of those cheap magnetic closing screens to the back door. The installation system, sticky Velco was absolute rubbish - solved by fitting press studs. For next year - it was such a success that I intend to buy a new one, but fit it to a removable screwed into place thin wooden framework.

Windows we set on trickle vent during the day, which denies insects any access. We open windows after dark, close in the morning. The house fabric then cools down overnight and the worst of the heat is kept out during the day.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd be interested in your review (we haven't yet bought the ridiculously expensive ones on Amazon).

Reply to
S Viemeister

Okey-doke. Give me a prod next week if nothing happens. (Although I expect it'll be freezing and pissing down by then.)

Reply to
Huge

I think it would be easy to make the frames using 16mmx9mm mini trunking and some magnetic strips. Lengths of mini trunking are only about £3-£4.

The plastic screen material is cheap in pound stretcher £2 and comes with sticky velcro to play with.

The only question is whether to use trunking corners or some metal angle brackets.

Reply to
dennis

I'd be interested - could email out review - might miss a post

Reply to
rick

I made a cheaper verison, I got some old net curtain stuck it to the window s frames using blu-tak, well actually white-tak actiualy as I wanted it to match the framse and curains, no expense was spared. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave