Insect screens

Anyone know if someone in the UK sells this kind of thing;

For a similar (sensible) price? (ca. $10) All the places I can find in the UK seem to want £30 or £40 for the same thing. I bought 20 or so from a place in Cardiff over 20 years ago, but they seem to be long gone, and having moved house, I had to leave them behind.

Reply to
Huge

I'm also looking for frame kits. Years ago, I used velcro to attach midge-proof screens to the outside of my window frames (the windows tilt in to open), but they now need replacing.

I'll be watching this thread!

Reply to
S Viemeister

A light timber frame + plain fine netting stops insects.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We'll use wood as a last resort; already have suitable netting.

Reply to
S Viemeister

One solution seems to me Viemeister-Huge Enterprises to import kits made cheaply for the US market and sell into a nascent UK market. Seems to me time must be ripe with consumers ever more (a) determined to make their homes germ-fee and (b) promised that global warming will bring new threats. (Zika virus is your friend!)

It'd be nice if i.d.c. you'd give uk.d-i-y preference in the IPO :)

Reply to
Robin

As it happens, I'm currently in the US, and considering paying the out-size baggage charge for a case full of the kits... Highland midges can be fierce, and all but two of the old screens are shot.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Doesn't any mesh fine enough to keep out midges, more or less keep out breeze? I've had every window gaping wide open the last few days/nights ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The fine mesh _does_ block more air than standard fly-screen - but I don't want to have to choose between roasting and being bitten to death! The mesh I used for the screens which now need replacing, completely blocked midge access, and only slowed down the airflow a little bit.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Many airlines carry golf clubs free or cheap so stick them in a cheap golf bag and tell anyone who challenges you that Scots invented the modern game so if you self-identify them as golf clubs it's racist aggression to argue with you?

Reply to
Robin

:)

Flying in the cheap seats, unfortunately.

Reply to
S Viemeister

If you fly BA cattle class where 1 piece of checked baggage is allowed, then a piece which is oversized (but not overweight) baggage does not incur extra costs.

Reply to
Capitol

Haven't flown BA in years, unfortunately. They no longer do nonstops EWR-EDI.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Huge a écrit :

My caravan has rolls down blinds, combined with fly screens on a second roller in a spring return cassette. Both run in a double track down the sides and they completely seal an open window. Obviously they are made to various widths and lengths, but I cannot think of an obvious reason why they would not work on a house window.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andy Burns a écrit :

It has been equally hot and humid here. I have had the back door open and I have a new fly screen I fitted to the inner back door.

When retiring, I have had one window open in the front bedroom with a large floor fan sat in front of the open window drawing air in. At the rear I have a second window open.

I have had no flies around the inside of the main house, or trouble with midges. The outer rooms beyond the fly screen are inundated with flies.

Neither my caravan fly screens nor my new back door fly screen, move in the breeze and I can definitely feel normal air flow through them, so I suspect they don't make much difference to the air flow through them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What stops you using pvc? Heat the ends until they soften a bit, press them together in a simple jig.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Shouldn't do but flyscreen mesh isn't the same as plain net curtain.

So you let the hot daytime air in warming the house that you then attempt to cool at night. South facing (or Sunny side(s)) draw curtains and keep windows closed during the day. If the North (non Sunny) side(s) are coolish open a couple of windows to get a bit of air flow but *only* if that side is cool. Once the heat of the day has past, start opening up to cool the house overnight.

Ceiling fan(s) if the place gets uncomfortable during the day without some air movement.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh, indeed not, and they are available for houses. But they're a lot of money.

Reply to
Huge

That's exactly what I did when I went out on Tuesday morning, front bedroom curtains and windows closed, bathroom window open ... result still felt like an oven going into bedroom when I got home about 11pm.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The thought has crossed my mind.

Reply to
Huge

As we found out when pitching camp at Fort William (the wrong side of the country), at the wrong time of year, at the wrong time of day, too near the trees and just after some rain. ;-(

We asked the guy who ran the camp if he was a local and what the secret was for protecting yourself against the midges. He pulled his sleeve up to reveal many bites and said 'when you find out, please let me know'. ;-)

By the time we had traveled over to Dornoch we were free of the things.

When we were there they were looking into the rollout of large 'midge traps' and were experimenting with smaller ones at the time?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m