Inkjet printers (slightly OT)

Would printing across multiple A4 sheets be an option? I use Easy Poster Printer (second one down at

which makes this very easy, particularly if your A4 printer can print right to the edge of the paper.

Reply to
Reentrant

Also use Epson here...and the printer can sometimes go unused for a month. Never had an ink jam.

We just replaced the one we use for photos and it went ten years.

We thought it senseless to even think of repairing it

Reply to
philo

I've used Epson printers since the first inkjet I bought. Years ago, I did have problems with ink heads clogging if the printer wasn't used frequently. I haven't had an ink head clogging problem in five or more years, though. I haven't run the ink head cleaning routine for my current Epson for a least a year.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

It's a good point, but often I am printing scans off old blueprint type drawings, or sections of them, and sometimes scaling in order to estimate otherwise unobtainable dimensions. Having a single sheet of A3 paper gives you a chance of getting a value with some confidence.

Reply to
newshound

It's more than (easily defeated) revenue protection. It's there to prevent air from getting in the print lines by stopping printing when the tank is running on empty. That's why there is always some ink left in the tank.

Reply to
Eric Stevens

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of years. I need to do it again now though.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

where did you get the meth?

Reply to
nospam

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?

Reply to
Eric Stevens

Mines now a Canon Pixma ix6550 which was on offer when I got it.

It has the advantage of taking the same ink cartridges as another multifunction printer that I own. I use third party clone inks as I don't need it photo real or much longevity. It replaced an i9000 that lost its magic smoke after more than a decade of use.

Both have survived intermittent heavy use without issue and latterly on cloned inks (though not the very cheapest ones).

Reply to
Martin Brown

My question would be "Which meth product?". Methylene chloride is a pretty standard ingredient in cleaning solvents.

Tony Cooper

I believe the reference was to methyl alcohol (methanol) which is available in many countries as methylated spirits, better known in the US as denatured alcohol. Due to consumption abuse the methanol content has been reduced, and in some countries banned.

Reply to
Savageduck

About seven years ago my old office Epson died. I replaced it with a used 2100 laser, which works fine. I don't use it much anymore, but the cartridge just needs replacement. I just ordered a new refill from Cartridge World for $90.

Reply to
PeterN

My only beef with Epson is that 1) the printer will die only if you have purchased a complete new set of ink cartridges, and, 2) the ink cartridges purchased for the old printer will not work in the new printer.

I use only Epson ink and Epson photo paper.

as I

Reply to
Tony Cooper

As commonly used in paint stripper. Not anywhere near my print head thank you!

Reply to
Eric Stevens

En el artículo , Martin Brown escribió:

Some time ago, I had to have a sign made for an installation 9,000 feet above sea level. This is above the cloud layer so is subject to high levels of UV, which had bleached the colour put of previous signs in short order.

For the latest sign I went to as different sign maker who offered to apply a UV-protective coating at very little additional cost. I was somewhat sceptical, having been promised UV-resistant signs in the past, but he was as good as his word and it still looks like new four years on.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Depends what you are using it for. Mine mostly gets used for printing posters for the VH which have to survive about three weeks in sunlight tops. Since Canon magenta doesn't much like this outdoor environment either laminated or under glass or perspex I see no point in paying for the more expensive OEM inks when they also fade. The clone inks do fade faster and colour balance isn't quite right but not by all that much.

If you print on the official material and with Canon inks then longevity is improved provided you keep it out of direct sunlight.

On pigment based inks then the risk of clones jamming is a lot worse.

Any serious photoprints I have printed at a lab on Fuji Crystal Archive which is way better reproduction than any inkjet I have ever seen.

Reply to
Martin Brown

When I had a blocked one and Googled on fixing it, they said to use ammonia.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had HP, a 3845 deskjet, for almost 15 years, and never had a head dry out with occasional use, including 3 week vacation layovers. Best thing about HP is the head is in the cartridge, costs a bit more but very easy replacement.

Reply to
Peter

until it comes time to profiling it.

Reply to