Inexpensive reliable circular saw

That must be able to take standard sized blades ...

... any recommendations please?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Which of about 57 'standards' do you have in mind?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote in news:8ok3qrFir2U1 @mid.individual.net:

Any so long as they are a "standard" ie in production, available, potentially generic rather than propriatary 184mm or thereabouts would be idle depth of cut does't have to be much more than 2"

Reply to
Chris Wilson

It would help if you told us what you are going to use the saw for, how much accuracy you require and how much work you're going to put it to. I've bought several cheap tools - chop saw, circular saw, SDS drill and so on from various sources (eg Lidls) and have found them all to be perfectly adequate for medium grade DIY work (several sheds built, etc). But then I'm not expecting too much of them and as long as they have a 5 year life, and all have, then I'm more than happy.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Seriously, folks. Surely it is the case that anything a circular saw can do, and angle grinder can do too, and better.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

I would have said Screwfix Site branded version of the Makita 7.5" - was about £54 IIRC, alas they have not got them any more.

So if you want cheap, then basically any of the shed specials - they are all much of a muchness. 185mm diameter blade with 30mm bore is pretty standard. If you want something nice, then Hitachi are well worth looking at IME (if you can excuse the modern power ranger colour scheme), with nice solid cast base plates:

John Rumm

Have you ever tried cutting say MDF sheet straight and square with an angle grinder?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Eh? Can only assume you haven't used either

Reply to
stuart noble

My =A330 Skil has given no problems, but I'm not a heavy user, and don't generally try to cut anything thicker than about 12mm.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Eh? I can only assume you're not a regular reader of this newsgroup, which is well known for "angle grinder" being the stock solution to most problems. As it is therefore the ultimate sculpting tool, there is nothing it can't sculpt. But some jobs of course require the sculptor to be highly experienced.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Inexperienced users may find application of plenty of WD40 to the MDF first makes cutting with angle grinder easier.

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

What diameter and bore are the blades though? AFAIR, cheap Skils had something funny going on here, so you couldn't get alternative blades for it.

One of the main uses for a cheap (i.e. light) circular is for doing initial breakdown on large sheets of ply or MDF. This needs a fine blade, not the inevitable huge rip blade that all such saws are supplied with.

If it's for light use, buy anything you like the look of. Cheap circulars aren't particularly nasty compared to a good one (in the way that jigsaws are), however you do need to buy a second blade for plywood ASAP, so mkae sure it's available.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The angle grinder joke is usually applied to a totally unsuitable job. In this case it looks like you meant it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Man at B&Q" wrote in news:bb5bf054-6236-4849- snipped-for-privacy@j25g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

Sounds good, I'll take a look, thanks

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Man at B&Q" wrote in news:bb5bf054-6236-4849- snipped-for-privacy@j25g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

Sounds good, I'll take a look, thanks

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Man at B&Q" wrote in news:bb5bf054-6236-4849- snipped-for-privacy@j25g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

Sounds good, I'll take a look, thanks

Reply to
Chris Wilson

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Looks nice but I was looking for something less expensive, thanks though.

Nice tip on the bore though, I was looking at saws with a 16mm bore

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Andy Dingley wrote in news:fb9f668e-256b-49b0- snipped-for-privacy@l7g2000vbv.googlegroups.com:

Ah ... will certainly need a blade for cross cutting as well as ripping.

Could you use a fine cross cut blade or something entirely different?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

It has a B&Q replacement blade in it, which I had absolutely no trouble procuring. I did look at the size last night, but can't remember now.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yup. Google for 'saw board' & make one.