Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On 24/03/14 11:03, Martin wrote:

Must check those out...
Having destroyed lots of spade bits on a single stump, sometimes DIY is not always the most straightforward course of action!

SBK Sarcastic Bugger Killfiled.
G.Harman
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Can you get to the edge of the stump ? If so, dig around as much as you can (I appreciate you've said it's tight) and the chop all the roots off, and lift the (heavy !) stumpball out.
When we moved in, we cut down an old apple tree, and I wanted to put a shed on slabs, where the stump was. I tried *everything* sort of dynamite to burn it out (diesel, petrol, white spirit. Drilling holes all in, filling it with liquid, setting it alight, seeing it flare for a few minutes, and then die out.
In the end I chopped it out.
On 24/03/2014 11:25, Jethro_uk wrote:

Too fast and violent. A bit like throwing petrol on a bonfire.
The only method that stands a chance is to saturate the wet wood with potassium nitrate and wait until it is the dryest day and then light a bonfire on top. You need both dry wood and oxygen to make it burn.
With any luck it will smoulder away deep into the ground, perhaps with the addition of some extra brushwood on top from time to time.
My burn attempts served only to hollow and weaken the large stump into three manageable pieces that I could then crowbar out with scaffold poles. Eventually they were dry enough to go in the wood burning stove.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 24/03/2014 11:25, Jethro_uk wrote:

A *termite* would enjoy doing it, but then it would probably eat all the wood in your house :-/
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:25:45 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_ (2009_season)#Episode_121_.E2.80.93_Thermite_vs._Ice

Our local authority used a machine with an attachment to pull trees out the pavement after cutting the trunks off about a metre above the ground.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:20:54 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Silly Barsteward Knew.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:41:34 PM UTC, Lobster wrote:

Cylinder of liquid oxygen and a long pipe?

I refrained from mentioning Honey Fungus :-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On 25/03/2014 12:08, Martin wrote:

Until now. Copy cat. Nah nah nah nah nah :~)
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Thermite is a bit hotter than a termite. :-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On 25/03/2014 12:10, Martin wrote:

Is that because it swallowed an 'h' for hot? ;~)
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
On 25/03/14 12:10, Martin wrote:

Unless you ask an irishman, then they are the same thing ;->

Once on the bandwagon there is no stopping it.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Digging a hole? :-P
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On 25/03/2014 14:41, Martin wrote:

Well, I am a gardener. I'm allowed to do that ;~)
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 06:05:09 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

The forest is 150 metres away, and also right at the back of my house. I don't think we have Honey Fungus in New Zealand, but there will be similar fungi. We are allowed to use the most dreadful of timber treatments here, so Pinus Radiata lasts for many years in the ground.
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 06:54:13 -0700 (PDT), Martin Bonner

Don't worry. It gets easier with practice. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good