"idiot proof" final circuit design

:::Jerry:::: wrote: If MCB's were fitted into

Yep! You definitely should be involved with the idiots in Whitehall! You obviously have missed your vocation in creating solutions to non existent problems. Just think how many forests you could destroy on a good day!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

No!

or worn the iron lead through on the

That's what the 13A fuse is for, she's not capable of finding a 6" nail, cutting it down to size and fitting it as a fuse! She does what most women do, either find a competent man to fix it, or buy a new iron!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

But then your radial may be limited to supplying only one appliance...

The FCU buys you nothing really. A socket mounted flush to the wall will take far less space than the normal hoses etc. that poke out the back of most appliances so that is a bit of a non issue.

The lead on the appliance will be plenty long enough to reach round (most have 1.8m leads as a minimum) the appliance to the left or right. Failing that, mount the socket on the wall behind it.

That is not a particular fault of moulded plugs as such, cut any plug off and you have the same situation. It is only a real problem if you then strip the ends of the stub of wire poking out of the plug and actually plug it in. Why would you?

Not really, because the compulsory intrduction of pre-fitted plugs on new equipment (moulded or otherwise) did result is a big decrease in accidents with appliances.

The moulded ones are also better/safer in some circumstances due to their much more effective cord grip. The gain from that is far more likely to prevent an accident than the potential risk posed by someone plugging in a detached plug.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't think you/joe public will easily find plug sized cartridge fuses with a rating of more than 13A.

If you are talking about the 32A breaker on the circuit, then that is not really relevant since it is not there to protect the appliance or its flex, it is there to protect the circuit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite, just when you think you have got something idiot proof someone comes along to prove you wrong.

As for making finals "idiot proof" some form of mechanical and electronic interlock would be required. Both requiring satisfaction before power is fed to the outlet. The electronic side would be similar to that used with proper PoE systems, ie a dialogue has to take place between the remote and the source rather than just simple load detection at source or short control wire at remote.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hum, 0.75mm flex (2192Y type stuff) is 6A rated. This is the very common two core oval flex, you can get it in 0.5mm 3A as well...

Yes 0.75mm it'll carry 13A and only get a bit warm but a 13A fuse takes quite a while to blow at twice it's rating and we are now getting on for 5 times over that of the flex. I'm not convinced that a

13A cartridge fuse will blow before the flex gets rather to hot under controled overload conditions rather than a dead short.

Have you left the real world Dave? B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, he is always like that. He just doesn't know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He was in it to begin with.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Perhaps you need a better made computer - designed for a very long life. This '97 one has fuses in the power supply, but has never blown one. ;-)

True, but plug fuses ain't the very best solution to protect electronics. I'd use the correct one(s) for the job. The plug fuse is just to protect the cable, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you'd have to rate all flexes at the MCB value? Most radials in other countries are 20 amps or so.

You prefer dangling flexes from an FCU? Whatever floats your boat.

Let Darwin apply then. The sooner the better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then the fuse blows. If on a radial, you'd have a fire. Unless using something like 2.5mm flex.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, and such flexs are limited to 2 or 3 metres so the impedance is low enough to blow a 16A fuse/breaker within a very short time in the event of a short circuit at the far end, fast enough so that not only is the cable not a hazard itself, but also so it's not damaged and could in theory be safely reused.

An overload implies the wrong flex is fitted. For a short circuit, to get 26A in a 0.75m cable, the short circuit would have to be 149m from the plug. Again, that's much longer than an appliance flex is allowed to be.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When I did PAT testing this was something I had to test. This was after some had been found to fail. I personally never found one that failed for this reason, but it is possible, Perhaps we used better quality ones, I somehow doubt it.

Reply to
<me9

You've got that right for once.

But knowing your posts after you've come back from the pub pissed, it's probably not what you meant.

Seek treatment for your alcohol addiction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, what's the effective area of a fuse? Ratings depend on length as well.

Again, what sort of conditions give a long term 'fixed' overload rather than short? Apart from extension leads?

No. The chances of an appliance lead being damaged to the point where it won't blow the plug fuse but overheat to the point of danger is remote. Including hoovers and irons. Where the damage will be obvious and should be fixed. Otherwise, let Darwin apply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed.

I can remember somepone making a plastic injection moulding machine "idiot proof" by putting an interlock switch on the door so that the machine could only be activated by closing the door and pressing a separate button.

Did it stop people getting their hands caught in the machine? No because the idiots discovered that if you jammed the activation button permanently on with a match, the machine could be operated much faster by just sliding the door back and forwards.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But left the real world a few weeks after entering.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The failure rate is low but measurable... last time I watched someone doing a bunch of IEC leads, they found about two or three out of a whole lab full - so perhaps 300 leads in total. It tends to be the ones that fall partially out of the socket and then get force applied to the sides of them. The ones sticking out the back of CROs seem to be prime candidates.

Reply to
John Rumm

This '94 computer also has one on the motjerboard. None blown. Of course the problem is the surge at switch on/off which is never matched during normal usage. Friends designing new computers had a more interesting problem: their machines used so little power that the standard PC cases inc PSUs that they were using would switch off - they detected so little current draw that the case electronics assumed the machine had been switched off!

[Snip]
Reply to
John Cartmell

That's how an employee in a take away managed to cook his hands.

Reply to
John Cartmell