Seeking teeny-tiny 13A plug

The other day someone posted a link to a new concept in folding, fused

13A plug-tops:

This is only a concept and not available for purchase. But anyway, I'm currently in the market for a case for my ASUS EEE netbook, and am highly frustrated that currently the purchasing decision seems completely limited by the relatively e-nor-mous bulk of the 13A plug attached to the PSU.

For sure there are plenty of different sizes of BS plug-tops around, but can anyone point me in the direction of a particularly small one that would suit my purpose? I can't believe that these days there isn't a market for these.

(I think the smallest I've ever come across was a non-BS, non-fused item which once came with a Hong Kong Ebay purchase, and which I binned - would it be totally stupid to obtain and use a non-fused plug in this application (ie a 12V PSU)? given that most other countries don't use fused plugs?)

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Whatever size the top is, you'll always have the length of the pins and the annoyance of their digging into things. You could fit an IEC trailing plug and rely on being able to beg, borrow, steal, or in extremis buy, an IEC to 13A (or whatever) cable wherever you go.

That's all I can think of. I have one from the same source. It occurs to me to wonder whether, to meet the regs, there might be an unreplaceable fuse embedded in ti, but I haven't tried to find out.

We are regularly told here that the purpose of the fuse is only to protect the cable, so it depends on how likely it is to get damaged.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Bit too risky I think! I just know that there are some smaller than others and wondered if there was a known and recommended source.

The one I had certainly didn't!

Which TBH in my hands (this is a 2-foot cable leading to a netbook PSU) will be as close to zero as I can imagine...!

Reply to
Lobster

AIUI it is to protect the cable from melting if there was a fault allong the cable OR *inside* the PSU that shorted the L and N together, so rather than melting the cable, because the circuit is protected at 32A, the 5A fuse pops!

Other contries that do not have fused plugs, have a lower protection on their final circuits, as they are generally 16A radials.

Personally I would keep the fuse!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

... and you can get a single output voltage version with detachable mains plug pins, such as:

look at travel adaptors. I have a smallish travel plug in which you pull and turn the 13A pins through 90deg and they slide back into the plug top, along with other plug pin types. At least it doesn't have protruding pins when being stored - and works in other counties.

Another thought, with a DIY solution, is to make a small cable reel, onto which the plug fits for carriage. That would also keep all your cables neatly packed for carrying.

How about getting an old BC plug :-)

Reply to
John Weston

So is that an actual plug which connects permanently to the cable, rather than an adapter? Haven't come across those, but does sound quite attractive as the netbook certainly gets taken overseas.

Hmm, got one of those somewhere - I suppose that's a thought, if a rather inelegant solution!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Is the cable earthed? If not, maybe something like the two-to-three pin adaptor below is a possibility. Obviously, replace UK plug by a two pin plug. (Is the lead removable from the power brick? If so, this would seem to be quite a sensible approach by having one proper lead as now and a second with two pin plug for use when travelling.) At least this can easily be shoved somewhere else than the laptop case.

Reply to
Rod

Just an idea you understand

need something to open the shutter, other than that it's a perfect fit.
of the sockets in my house have the MK patented shutter, and the 2 prong plug goes straight in without assistance in *most* of them. The odd one won't play, must me a slightly different design.

Reply to
Graham.

Steve Firth

'd still be interested in the collapsible travel plug idea though, mentioned by John Weston, if he or anybody else can provide any further details?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

There was a 'folding' 3 pin UK type plug shown on the group recently, but my impression was that it was a 'concept' - not an available product.

However, my daughter who visited last week had some hair straighteners, with what looked like a semi transparent 3 pin UK plug. But loosening a screw allowed the plug to open out and a standard continental 2 pin plug was inside.

(one of her mates told daughter >after< she'd had several trips using clunky power adapters)

John

Reply to
JTM

Look at