"idiot proof" final circuit design

If I wanted isolating switches for kitchen appliances I'd group them together using 20 amp DP grid switches, and engrave the panel with which does what. Much neater than individual FCUs.

And why would you want to hack off a properly fitted plug to replace it with an obsolescent design? Just to move the fuse to a more convenient position?

I think you must have some seriously faulty appliances if you feel the need for easy access to the fuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sigh. I never sight sockets in such a place as to make this necessary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, going to longer lengths of skinny flex would make things even worse on 'your' ideal radial with no fuse at the plug.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sigh. Site, even.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why do you want a FCU or a round pin plug?

Why not a double pole switch above the worktop feeding a single unswitched socket below. This is they way it is usually wired, woirks just fine and saves having to rewire the plug on the appliacnce (and all the associated problems that brings).

Reply to
John Rumm

That *is* a FCU - i.e. Fused *Connection* Unit...

Reply to
John Rumm

Not silly, just not relevant.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, you departed the real world a long time ago.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No - there certainly is a plate known as a cord or flex outlet. See TLC Contactum page for an example. They've usually got a cord grip, and may or may not have a connector strip - but no fuse or switch, etc. Similar to a cooker outlet plate, but for smaller flex.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:32:59 +0100,it is alleged that "Dave Plowman (News)" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

These devices are most useful for feeding towel rails/mascerators/other electrical devices in a bathroom where you have the FCU outside.

Also have seen them used (sans terminal block) with a small phone jack inside the box to prevent theft of desk phones in public areas. (the US style plug fits through the cord hole from the inside, then gets its tag cut off before reconnection to the phone).

Reply to
Chip

,

them

replace it

convenient

Clueless....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

woirks

(and all

So, if the fuse blows you like hauling out the appliance do you, and wire fuses can and do blow for other reason than a faulty appliance etc.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

'DIY

accessories

necessary.

So you drill bloody great holes into cupboards and then fill the space with electrical hardware instead....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

flex on

How, lighting would not be on a radial anyway, it would be on a lighting circuit. But even so, being on a 15A radial has got to be better than on a 30A ring with a bridged plug fuse....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

They may with you. They don't with others - apart from once in a very blue moon.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, I install a flush socket neatly. Now I understand others may not be able to manage this, but...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jerry, go and read some books. And then come back an tell us what a lighting circuit is, if not a radial.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

,

appliance

As you say, they do, and if they do in your ideal installation it means hauling out the appliance or emptying a cupboard first....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

You still need a big hole and still have a cable in the cupboard though... Yes, very neat - NOT!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

So is a spur off a ring for that matter, except that most lighting circuits [1] are fuse at 5 or 6 amps -not 30 amps as a ring is....

[1] forgetting for a moment that many if not most domestic lighting circuits are in fact loops (rings) with radial switch drops - any (non remotely switched) lighting sockets would be likely to be part of such a loop or be on the same loop-in / loop-out principle.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::