Identifying a Solid Fuel Stove/Range

Hi All

I have been following this group for several months now and have always found pretty good and reliable advice.

I have a built in solid fuel stove/range in my kitchen. It is built in and i assume was put in the house when built c.1850. Whilst it is in perfect working order at the moment (apart from a few minor repairs to the fire box) i would like try and find some information on it both for practical and historical interest. problem is their is no apparent markings to be seen. have googled several times and tried the usual suspects aga, solid fuel assosciation etc etc but to no avail.

The range has an open fire with dampers controlling oven and fire. no hobs but a top and bottom oven. tiled oven doors. no apparent makers mark or identifying features on the surface.

Any help or appropriatte web sites in identifying this oven would be very much appreciated, also what do i call it, is it a stove, range, oven or some other suitable title.

tia

kind regards

billy

Reply to
TOGGY

Fantastic. I too have a an 1850's house with an original range. Ours was the sole source of hot water when we first moved in !!!

It is not an AGA. AGA type range cookers came on the scene in the 1930's. Yu may find some markings inside the oven - ours has a manufacturer and number but it is not easy to read. Ours is cast iron with a slate surround which is grain painted. It took an antiques expert to convice us that it wasnt some exotic wood !!

Where to get information ?

Post a question on the discussion forum of

maybe somebdy there can point you in the right direction. If you have a pic that might help. Ill be loking for the answers too 'cos id like to find out some more information about ours - when i have a bit more time.

Reply to
Andy Farrall

Thanx Andy, I know now where to start looking. I will let u know if i find anything.

regards

Billy

Reply to
TOGGY