Identify mains plug/socket

I'm after a couple of re-wirable two-pin flying lead mains plugs/sockets.

They have to match some existing ones that I want to interconnect.

They are a polarised version of a standard C7 "figure of eight" connector, same pin spacing etc. It's not a proper (according to standard) polarised C7 with one square end and one round end, it's a C7 with one flat side.

Can anyone tell me what they're called and/or where I might buy some?

Reply to
Chris Green

FWLIW sounds like WZ-01 but I can't recall if they are the same pin spacing as C7

Reply to
Robin

PS

I meant one that looks like this - although that's sold as a C7 so I'm buggered if I know what if anything the WZ-01 means. It's just what I think I was told they were called.

Robin

That's a very silly price! :-) Also it's not quite right, the ones I'm trying to fit are 'figure of eight' with one side filled in but both 'ends' are round, not square like the above.

Reply to
Chris Green

I had one of those on the 12 volt cable to an old cool box for the car. The cable failed.

I used a C7, and used Araldite to fill in the groove on one side.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'd misunderstood your "one flat side". I'd describe what I now think you want as "rounded on both sides like a normal C7 but with a notch on only one side".

Reply to
Robin

Am 07.09.2021 um 15:20 schrieb Chris Green:

That shape?

Matthias Czech

Yes, that's right, a C7 with the 'groove' on one side filled up. The trouble is that I want a 'plug', i.e. a thing with a shell and recessed pins, the 'sockets' I have won't fit onto a C7 'plug'. The other way round is fine, a C7 'plug' will go in one of my sockets.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, that's the shape, I'm not sure if that's the right size but it's the right outline.

I want matching 'plugs' as a C7 won't go into the one above. The other way around, is OK - i.e. a 'plug' for the one above *will* go with a C7 'socket'. My application doesn't care about polarity (don't ask me why they're polarised!).

The above picture, though it claims IEC_60320 isn't a connector you can find in IEC_60320.

Reply to
Chris Green

The actual wikipedia article (rather than just the image from wikimedia) does say it's an Apple proprietary connector based on IEC C7.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, OK, so the pin size and spacing is the same presumably.

I need a couple for some old[ish] undercabinet lights, they changed connector type some years ago from a small rectangular connector to the slightly bigger roundish ones I after here. I've had a difficult time as the old fittings (not the tubes, the fittings) with the rectangular connectors died and I replaced them with the newer ones.

I've made 'interconnects' by cannibalising old ones and soldering and shrink wrapping but I've run out of any wires with the 'nearly C7' connectors on. I can use real C7 sockets, they mate OK, but I need a 'plug' to connect to the end of the fitting.

Reply to
Chris Green

maybe a Apple special.

Reply to
alan_m

That wiki article says that there are no polarised C7/C8 in the standard but polarised c7/8 versions with the same pin spacing do exist.

Reply to
alan_m

Off topic: can you remind me of the trick you posted here not long ago to retrieve pages from the Financial Times?

Reply to
Pamela

If you can take some pictures of your existing lighting cables with said connector and put them on an image hosting website, I can have a look through my box of white cables*

  • every time I buy a strip light, it always seems to come with a "plugless" mains lead with a C8 connector and a very short link cable.

So I do have some surplus leads and I *might* have what you are looking for.

I've got two makes of link lights here and the connectors are not interchangeable.

If any of these are suitable, we can talk a deal up to cover my time, postage and packing.?

Reply to
SH

copy the trailing GUID part of the FT URL, google for that, then follow the result from google

I'm not entirely sure how it works because I block 3rd party cookies, it may be as simple as the presence of

Referer:

in the request?

Reply to
Andy Burns

PS. Some of the connectors are C8 but have a "shroud" around them just to further confuse!

like this one:

And I've seen this with the C8 connector with squared off corners or a single flat unnotched side

such as

SH

Yes, that's it. It works nicely. Thank you.

Reply to
Pamela

If you need to make more Y sockets you could use 3 pin XLR connectors!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Normal C7 is

Yours is