I tried a bit of fancy metal bashing

Did not come out too bad IMHO!

John Rumm

Very neat, but well beyond most DIYers I guess. I ordered a handrail ready made for our front steps, which I'm very pleased with.

By the way, you've made one mistake (IMHO). You painted the handrail black - it should be white or silver. If it gets sun for just an hour or two it will be too hot to hold! Anyone trying to use it will very soon let go.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Great stuff - and thanks for the link to F.H.Brundles...

Reply to
jkn

I think you'll find silver may get very hot too, chrome plated metal certainly does, the best option is white.

Reply to
Chris Green

Given an angle grinder and a welder it is not that difficult in reality. It was only my second attempt at anything like that.

Yup, there is something to be said for that - I expect in many cases it will cost the same or less than making it.

I did wonder if that would be the case when I built the earlier one on the railing I did for the front door steps (the same handrail material), but that seems ok.

So far I have not had a problem on this one - it does get warm certainly, but has not got uncomfortably hot yet, and we have had some fairly serious sun this week! Possibly because it has a fair amount of thermal mass. Time will tell.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don’t forget that metal is a good conductor of heat, as the sunny side warms up, the shady underneath will re-radiate it. There will also be some convection taking place.

Reply to
Spike

Yes even bare metal does that. The best plan is solar reflective paint and a nice dayglo topcoat then you can see it in twighlight. Well anyone but me cos I'm now too blind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it becomes a problem I will do a nice oak or western red cedar capping for it...

Reply to
John Rumm