I see the BBC reporters don't understand RFID tags.

Someone really should tell them that the normal RFID tags in use are not powered by radio waves.

Reply to
dennis

But they are.

"Passive tags collect energy from a nearby RFID reader's interrogating radio waves."

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Someone should tell them that converted shipping containers are usually fully isulated and quite habitable.

Reply to
Andrew

Except they *are* they get parasitic power from the device that is scanning them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Most of them kind of are powered by radio waves but they do not need that much power as the whole thing is a close coupled system as indeed are the cards that are contactless.

I'm sure we all remember Crystal sets which were powered by the signals they received. I built a single transistor one using an old Germanium transistor when I could see and that was even more efficient if you were in a high signal area. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes I wondered about that it would take a lot of work to make a shipping container bad, indeed some are used as workshops, You can fit them with windows and outside cladding.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As you haven't posted the link to check ...

ITYF that the claim that they are uninhabitable is because the specific properties provided are too small for the number of people allocated to them (and don't have self contained access to bathrooms)

not that a property made from shipping containers is inherently uninhabitable

tim

Reply to
tim...

No they aren't. They are powered by induction from a bloody great coils and a little coil.

Reply to
dennis

No they don't they are powered by the magnetic field. You try beaming RF at them and see what happens. A tiny dipole should be enough to get an RF signal to one if you want to waste your time.

Reply to
dennis

I thought it was a magnetic coupling

Reply to
harry

my household alarm system box doesn't have space for a "bloody great coil"

Reply to
charles

but that doesn''t change the laws of physics

Reply to
charles

Have you extracted an M&S smart tag from any of their clothing?

Reply to
Andy Burns

My door entry system gas a pad about an inch square where the keyfobs go.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Looks more like a tuned antenna to me, there's a gap in the printed track which the 0.25mm^2 slither of silicon sits across.

Andy Burns

Andy Burns

"She said the lack of circulation in the metal storage containers means they were prone to overheating, which leads to condensation dripping from the ceiling."

"Converted shipping containers are increasingly used by councils to provide temporary accommodation for homeless families. While some families prefer them to B&Bs because they have their own self-contained bathroom and kitchen, they are regarded as too hot in summer and too cold in winter."

Reply to
Max Demian

Are you a Remainer? It's the sort of daft statement only you and the likes of MM would make.

Reply to
Fredxx

Correct, a RF field has both electric and magnetic components.

Reply to
Fredxx

Linked fluctuations of electric and magnetic fields. Radio waves.

Reply to
newshound