I see the BBC reporters don't understand RFID tags.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48859331
Someone really should tell them that the normal RFID tags in use are not powered by radio waves.
On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 13:16:23 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

But they are.
"Passive tags collect energy from a nearby RFID reader's interrogating radio waves." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification
Owain
Most of them kind of are powered by radio waves but they do not need that much power as the whole thing is a close coupled system as indeed are the cards that are contactless.
I'm sure we all remember Crystal sets which were powered by the signals they received. I built a single transistor one using an old Germanium transistor when I could see and that was even more efficient if you were in a high signal area. Brian
--
----- --
On 21/08/2019 13:24, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

No they aren't. They are powered by induction from a bloody great coils and a little coil.

my household alarm system box doesn't have space for a "bloody great coil"
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

but that doesn''t change the laws of physics
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 17:42:49 UTC+1, charles wrote:

My door entry system gas a pad about an inch square where the keyfobs go.
Owain
dennis@home wrote:

Have you extracted an M&S smart tag from any of their clothing?
Andy Burns wrote:

Looks more like a tuned antenna to me, there's a gap in the printed track which the 0.25mm^2 slither of silicon sits across.
<
http://andyburns.uk/misc/smart-tag1.jpg
<
http://andyburns.uk/misc/smart-tag2.jpg

Andy Burns wrote:

On 21/08/2019 19:35, Andy Burns wrote:

Ah its one of the UHF ones. They aren't the normal ones used in things like credit cards and dogs, etc.

There is no coil with cards and dogs.
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 21:22:22 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Well there is with cat microchips so I assume the same with dogs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(animal)
Most implants contain three elements: a 'chip' or integrated circuit; a coil inductor, possibly with a ferrite core; and a capacitor.
On 21/08/2019 19:33, Andy Burns wrote:

Isn't it just a diode that acts as a frequency doubler so they can detect that new frequency when you pass the coils activating it?
What is smart about it?
dennis@home wrote:

A 48 bit serial number and 128 bits of memory
On 21/08/2019 16:50, dennis@home wrote:

Linked fluctuations of electric and magnetic fields. Radio waves.
On 21/08/2019 20:57, newshound wrote:

Try powering one of these from an antennae and see how far you get
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-20-50-100-500-125Khz-RFID-Proximity-ID-Card-Token-Tags-Key-Fobs-Keyfobs/332706271207
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RFID-25mm-White-Disc-Disk-Tag-125KHz-EM4100-ID-Pack-of-5/264430664714
These are the normal ones like in credit cards, the sort I can read/write using my phone. Not that you can write much to a credit card chip as they have the security fuse blown and have an inbuilt CPU to generate codes.

That’s not a normal RFID tag.

ditto

Nope.

The phone doesn’t have a bloody great coil.

On 21/08/2019 13:16, dennis@home wrote:

Someone should tell them that converted shipping containers are usually fully isulated and quite habitable.
Yes I wondered about that it would take a lot of work to make a shipping container bad, indeed some are used as workshops, You can fit them with windows and outside cladding.
Brian
--
----- --