I need a timer that tiggers automatically every nn minutes

That would obviously be sensible, but this is Usenet.....

Reply to
GB

Got a vague smart phone ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

MM :

uk.let-someone-else-do-it is that way --------------> :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

aye this be UK.D-I-Y after all ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Cheap kitchen timer --- if you can trust yourself to reset/restart it every time it beeps.

the ones I have all remember the last time they were set to - one button to turn it off, then one button to start it again...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

start with a raspberry pi..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope. My mobile is a £15 jobbie from O2/Siemens, and that included £5 airtime. It makes and receives calls and texts and that's about it.

MM

Reply to
MM

I want it to beep at me.

MM

Reply to
MM

This is got to be a hands-free operation.

MM

Reply to
MM

This would be overengineering writ large.

MM

Reply to
MM

Quite. it would need some form of interface to a bleeper. As well as the skills to write the programme.

Snag with timers is there are so many variations, depending on what you actually need it to do. Which usually means building one to the exact requirments. As I think you've found.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

why? its got a sound output and everything else it needs and it costs but little

just spool a .wav to the sound system under cron...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

almost none. you are just telling it to send a sound file to the sound subsyten. one line of script in cron will do that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

it HAS a sound system anyway.

so buy a PI which has all the timers you ever wanted under 'cron'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is a DIY group, so use DIY. :) Have a look at the PICAXE educational kit AXE003U. It contains a little PCB to build, programming lead & software and a battery box for 3 AA cells. There's space on the PCB for you to add a little buzzer or piezo sounder. For this job you could probably put a coin cell holder on the PCB. Rapid do it for about 21 quid + postage. Rapid number 13-5020. All the details are on their site.

kits-80318

Reply to
mick

On 10/08/2013 10:50, MM wrote: ?

Look for 'parking timer' on Amazon UK.

Even cheap non-smartphone mobiles can run Java ME apps

Interval / Round Timer. For timing exercises like interval training, crossfit, stretching, rounds during boxing / MMA / martial arts training etc.

Adrian C