I am being told that vertical radiators are not as efficient for the same volumetric flow as horizontal radiators.

Bugger the designer aspect. It all depends on available wall space. A tall rad of a given width should put out more heat than a shorter one.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Efficacy?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Yes, but not in proportion to it's height.

Reply to
Fredxx

I don't know why you say that, as the chimney effect can sometimes be very good at providing a good airflow. So at first sight it's not obvious which orientation is best. Only those with hindsight will think differently.

The gap between the radiator and the wall and radiator height will determine air speed over the radiator.

If you think differently, please feel free to cite an explanation why this isn't the case.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, but verticals are often used when there is a shortage of horizontal space and verticals don?t work under windows.

Reply to
Joey

But it may be uncomfortably hot if anyone has to sit close to it if fitted to an internal wall.

Reply to
alan_m

You haven't explained why a larger temperature difference within an enclosed space such as a flue or the space around a radiator won't create a bigger draught when we know the opposite is generally true.

This paper for instance:

suggests the optimum aspect ratio of the radiator is highly dependent on wall height.

Reply to
Fredxx

<snip>

The paper makes it clear.

Not in all cases, as demonstrated by the paper in real home situations.

Reply to
Fredxx

That will do, for the pedants

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A preferred reference over one individual whose chosen speciality is claimed to be chemistry.

It's infinitely better than any cite you've made to backup your claims.

Reply to
Fredxx

I suppose the issue is that hot air rises. Vertical radiators heat the upper layers, so you can end up with a layer of cold air near the floor, which is where you sit...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

My trademark is to cite the source of my accusations. You confirmed you were a chemist in a thread titled "Ethanol".

If you can't recall then senility has crept up with you. Denial and senility go together.

It is a fact that the aspect ratio of a radiator as well as the height of the room vs radiator heigh determine the efficacy of a radiator. But wider vs taller isn't always an optimum choice.

You are like T i m who resorts to abuse when their "facts" no longer match real world examples, however hard they wish they did.

Reply to
Fredxx

Read the paper again. Even your earlier post whinged that they only considered aspect ratios of 0.5 to 2.

Is that agreement?

Reply to
Fredxx

So an agreement that efficacy in terms of aspect ration is dependent on a number of circumstances, and that a "very wide horizontal radiator" wouldn't necessarily "work better as far as heating the air is concerned".

Another sign of a lost argument.

Reply to
Fredxx

No lie, just senility on your part:

>> and I thought you had a chemical background? >

It's good you can read, too.

No BS, a well reasoned argument you can't answer except with abuse. Your trademark

Quite, the paper was discussing aspect ratios of 0.5 to 2. You can read, can't you?

The sign of a lost argument.

Reply to
Fredxx

I'm sorry if you can't understand the paper.

And a function of radiator aspect ratio, ie height and width of radiator.

The paper gives instances where that's not the case.

So an admission there is an optimum aspect ratio, and wider is not necessarily better.

Did you not say that? Or have you simply forgotten you said it?

QED

Reply to
Fredxx

It's one of the reasons to put a horizontal radiator under a window to help prevent the cold flow of air at foot level. The cold air flow caused by the window is met with the rising hot air flow from the radiator thus circulation only warm air. Having cold feet can make you feel a lot colder that it actually is.

Reply to
alan_m

I did, just you don't like the fact or remember saying it.

No, but it was what you said. On an even earlier thread you eluded to being a chemist, hence my comment.

Then you were had with being offered a physical-chemistry course.

To you facts you can't counter are always bare faced lies.

Quite, everyone can see the article and can see wider is not always better.

You made an unqualified statement and got found out.

Yep, another indication of a lost argument.

Reply to
Fredxx

And the cited article suggests otherwise. You are entitled to disagree but come up with a source for your claim. You won't because you can't.

You didn't, you made an unqualified statement and got found out.

Good, we have moved forward.

More indication of a lost argument.

More indication of a lost argument.

Reply to
Fredxx

That is my policy too. I once lived in a house where the radiator was on the other side of the room, and you could feel the cold air simply dropping from the window.

Reply to
Fredxx