HW problem, weird

Lots of hot comes out the sink taps, but the shower is stone cold. The HW pipe feeding the shower goes from lukewarm to cold-water-incomer-cold as the shower runs. It worked fine before, and they're adamant no plumbing has been done.

The system: Immersion heated HW cylinder, gravity feed. Old thermostatic mixer shower past its best. Mayonnaise pressure cold.

I suspect the shower's cold feed is backfeeding the HW supply pipe. I don't see what else could be happening. Plan to take a look tomorrow.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You'll probably find there are check valves (non-return) in the shower mixer. One has likely jammed open. Cold water is transferring to the HW system Just needs cleaning/freeing off inside mixing valve.

Happens in limescale areas.

Reply to
harry

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com formulated on Sunday :

NRV's or the design of the outlets should prevent back feeding from either H to C or C to H, so as to avoid contamination of the CW mains supply.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

then I guess there aren't 2 NRVs. Preventing hot going into cold is the one that matters.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Cold going into hot water can cause floods. So that matters too.

Reply to
harry

Our mixer taps have internal concentric pipes, so the mix only occurs at the end of the spout, so as to prevent any reverse flow.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield