Umbrellas

I understand that the latest thing this year is hi tech umbrellas with carbon fibre spokes and very clever material that cannot get punctured or turn inside out. It also has a blue tooth device to keep you up to date with the weather forecast and a proximity detector to stop you forgetting init when you put it down somewhere, which works via your mobile.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So instead of the brolly turning inside-out and acting as a sort of pressure-relief valve or bursting disk, you do a Mary Poppins and disappear over the rooftops! Perhaps the brolly should also include a sat nav to tell you (or your nearest and dearest) where you are when you eventually come back down!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I wish they had a proximity detector that collapsed them around the head of the person carrying it preferably strangling them while it does so when they get close to poking somebody's eye out. Umbrellas are fine when there is space for them and people are not moving too much like at a spectator event and even there they block others view, on crowded pavements they are an antisocial menace . A mumbled apology having turned someone into a Cyclops isn't good enough. Light weight clothing for most weather conditions encountered in the high street has been available for years ,there is no need to carry an Igloo on a stick.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It's a well solved problem:

For Brian - basically the umbrella has 2 layers which leads to vents arranged in a circle around the umbrella, about 1/3 way up.

The 2 layers overlap like roof tiles so it keep sthe rain out, but an upgust can vent through the umbrella reducing the stress. The spokes are stronger too.

No sure what make mine is, but I've had it for years - it is collapsible and lives in my backpack.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The bluetooth beacons are available as a separate item which you can attach to anything...

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:o385f4$jqs$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Will it respond automatially evertime the weather forcaster says "Brolly or Umbrella". the seem unable to just say that it will rain. As I don't have an umbrella I get vey annoyed with the forcasters.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Has anybody's eye ever been poked out by an umbrella? It's an expression like the one about tripping over your shoelace. I was always told this as a child - and even now - but I have never heard of anyone ever tripping over their own shoelace.

Reply to
Scott

Notice no one has yet said what it will sell for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had some near misses over my undone shoelaces. I wouldn't doubt someone could be less fortunate and fall.

I take it you use slip-ons or some other lace free footwear?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I expect they are taking preorders for delivery on 1 April 2017.

Reply to
Scott

I did it the other day. Tried to briskly step forward with foot A which was tethered 6" away from foot B, and fell to my knees. It's very easy if you don't do them up. Obviously the dire childhood warnings worked on you.

Reply to
Roger Hayter