"Properizing" brand-new stuff ? (Electric Wheelchair)

(there is a request for advice at the end !)

Just wondering what brand-new things people have had to fix before serious use ...

With SWMBO suffering more from leg spasms, the manual chair is a bit cumbersome.

Luckily we managed a cracking deal on a brand new one from Lloyds, which seems to be quite good - especially for the sub-£800 price.

However, the design/implementation of the controller (or more specifically the controller *cable*) could do with a serious re-think.

The chair is *intended* to be broken into 3 pieces. Which it does very well. The seat assembly (which has the controller joystick and cabling) pulls off. The cabling plugs into the motor unit which separates from the battery unit leaving 3 pieces (the heaviest is the battery unit) for putting in a boot.

About that cable ...

It's about 1m long, and quite stiff heavy-duty wiring inside wrapped into a single sleeved rope. It has an 8-way connector which plugs into the motor unit. Already the sleeve covering the connector has split (after 2 weeks use) exposing the cabling inside.

If I thought this was an individual fault, I would be dealing with the suppliers. But I don't think it's a "fault", and even if I were to get a replacement, it would be exactly the same.

Currently, I have reinforced the connector-cable interface with a good wrap of metallised duck/gaffa tape.

The next problem, which is why I am posting, is that the cable needs to be affixed to the chair (otherwise it gets in the way), but also needs to have the flexibility to allow the seat to be turned 90degrees left *or* right. Because the controller is mounted on the right, the left turn uses all the length. This means any "fixing" needs to be elastic ? However it needs to stretch quite a bit, so can't be too "springy"

Any ideas ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A photo or two would be a huge help...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Sounds like you need something similar to a "cable management arm"?

Adrian Caspersz

All sorts of possibilities. An 8 way flex is always going to be a bit fat and therefore inflexible. Replace it with four bits of pendant flex taped into a "ribbon" configuration for the bendy region?

Reply to
newshound

Depending on voltage/current it may be possible to replace it with extra-fl exible flex (like test lead flex) inside a sheath like expanding fibreglass , or heatshrink, or even tinsel cable. Possibly replace the switch panel wi th a very low current one and use relays or transistors in the motor unit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

We have a Pride Go chair and I've had no end of trouble with the controller and its cables and plug. The cable fractured invisibly at the point where the chair arm lifts. The plug/socket latch snapped. The controller body cracked across.

If it's one of those machines that you have I can tell you a whole lot of maintenance tips.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What a pity. I came across one of those while having a clear out a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't think of a use for it, so it went to the tip ...

Reply to
Terry Casey