What is this model/machine

This came from a large metal engineering workshop back in the 70s but may be older. I suspect it was part of an apprentices training to make a working model from scratch.

Any ideas?

Image:

Video:

ss

Sterling Engine? It does look a bit heavyweight for that, but the second conn-rod does like some form of displacer ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or even a Stirling Engine ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I dont think Stirling engine, it stands 16 inches tall and weighs 5.5 kilo. I did have a similar one but gave it away and from memory you could attach an airline to it to drive it.

Reply to
ss

Looks like a Stirling engine . the base placed over a heat source such as stove top would warm up in the same way as this commercially made one is running on my wood burner right now that turns fan blades to project heat into the room.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Die stamper? Or punching blanks out of sheet metal?

Reply to
The Other John

I would say exceedingly unlikely to be a Stirling engine! Looks like a single cylinder double acting piston with a valve box to redirect steam/compressed air to alternate sides of the piston.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's a steam engine. Fitted with a slide valve. Non-reversing.

Reply to
harry

replying to ss, passerby wrote: Does it make hissing sounds when the flywheel is rotated?

Reply to
passerby

It's a single-cylinder steam unit. Is the flywheel grooved for a pulley or belt?

Reply to
Bert Coules

If there are two ports are on the far side of the cylinder, they will be for the steam inlet and exhaust.

Reply to
Bert Coules

If there are two ports on the far side of the cylinder, they will be for the steam inlet and exhaust.

Reply to
Bert Coules

No but then probably not properly sealed, the one I gave away did hiss though. I took the front part off this one (almost identical) and there is a valve thingy on it. Behind the flywheel there is a much smaller diamter wheel that looks as if this could have been used to drive it. I am sure it is an apprentices project as the place it came from employed thousands in its day and had hundreds of apprentices, lathes,winders etc I think they made coal cutting machinery for the mines.

image:

ss

I think it's more likely that a belt run around this smaller wheel was used to drive something else.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I dont think so as I cant see any way it can be powered on its own. I am sure the one I gave away had an air inlet that could have been used to drive it as a working model. This one has no inlet, no engine just a piston and connecting rod to presumably open & close the valve.

Reply to
ss

Logically if it was meant to function there should be an inlet on the valve box. (See

)

Is that a glass cover on the valve box? Maybe it was just to demonstrate the alternate redirection of the air/steam?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes that cover is over the valve box, yes I think a demonstration model of some kind. If the flywheel is spun fast enough there is a slight on/off hiss. I reckon tomorrow I will take the piston part apart and see whats in there, I would imagine any rings /seals would be well worn by now.

I done some googling on the company and apparently they were rated for their apprentiships which makes me think this was part of the apprentiship to build a whatever they called it as part of qualifying, I say that because I had 3 of these things at one time and I think there were loads more at the kicking around......

ss

For it to be a practical cylinder/valve combination there would need to be two ports on the cylinder block: one input, one exhaust. I assumed at first that these were out of sight in your photo, but if they're not there at all then you're right, my suggestion is clearly wrong. Apologies.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Not a problem Bert, I wish I still had the one I gave away as it did have an inlet which I am sure was driven with an airline to show it working.

Reply to
ss

Probably an 1800s steam engine without boiler. A collector's item anyway.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr