Shower oddity

Very low water flow on a previously fine shower, down to maybe 1/5th previous flow. Temp is fine, but only with the shower temp control set to hottest possible position. Flow doesnt increase when temp control is swung to totally cold.

Setup:

30yr old thermostatic mixer shower on ground floor. HW cylinder on 1st floor fed by header tank on 3rd floor. Mains CW feed.

I'm not sure where to even start looking. Any ideas?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Has the shower head been changed? I had this recently when the family expert I delegated the job to, fitted an eco flow control washer, just because it was there in the package and he knew too much to need to read and understand the instructions! In my case the flow was so restricted that the flow switch to the shower pump would operate only in bursts. As it was a guest shower, it took me about 6 weeks to get it onto the jobs list, so the guests suffered!

Reply to
Capitol

Well I would *start* by looking at the mixer, if it is that age. Something broken internally? Scale blockage from hot supply?

Reply to
newshound

No work's been done on this system - I'd know where to look otherwise.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The whole system's that age. I guess I mentioned it because I kinda suspect the mixer. Having never dismantled one though I'll admit to rather lacking confidence on doing so.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Very low water flow on a previously fine shower, down to maybe 1/5th previous flow. Temp is fine, but only with the shower temp control set to hottest possible position. Flow doesnt increase when temp control is swung to totally cold.

Setup:

30yr old thermostatic mixer shower on ground floor. HW cylinder on 1st floor fed by header tank on 3rd floor. Mains CW feed.

I'm not sure where to even start looking. Any ideas?

Personally I'd be looking at the supply vessel for scale and or sludge

Reply to
Nthkentman

Have seen this if the rubber shower flexible tube is twisted internally.

Reply to
Capitol

Disconnect the shower hose from the mixer and see what that can do with nothing on the output.

If that is poor, then the mixer itself it the most likely candidate. If you can access the inlet couplings, then check the inline filter washers on one or both have not been clogged with something.

What kind of shower mixer is it? Thermostatic, pressure balanced etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

Shredded washer in the flow control thingy.. that is my technical term, youunderstand. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's what I'll do - I didn't have the right tools with me today.

Aqualisa thermostatic mixer thing - that's all I know really. There's certainly no pressure balancing of the supplies.

I'll test it so I know what to fix when need be, but I'm quite tempted to leave it as is. It is still usable, and now much cheaper to run. And I like cheap.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Shower head getting bunged up?