How to remove smallish blood stains from a light grey carpet?

Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the stains. Any ideas please?

Reply to
Broadback

Do not apply any form of heat(*). Cold water, plenty of it, leave to soak for a few minutes, clean cloth/kitchen roll, blot up the water/softened coagulated blood, repeat with more clean cold water and clean cloth kitchen roll, repeat...

(*) Heat will rupture the red cells/denature the protiens and release the iron held in the haemaglobin. You then end up with a effectively a rust stain which will be very hard to remove. Keeping the red cells in tact and rinsing away works, but once the blood has coagulated you need to let the water soften the blood first.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Too late for that. The detergent in the Fairy Liquid will already have ruptured the cells.

Reply to
Huge

A product designed for removing pet urine odour/stains.

Reply to
alan_m

The material matters - wool, polyester, silk etc not all the same.

Reply to
Robin

The forensic team will find the blood whatever they do.

Reply to
Martin

I think hydrogen peroxide is good for removing blood. What it?ll do to your carpets I have no idea. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You are not supposed to hold boxing matches in your living room, think of the damage to the ornaments!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

effectively

hum, the detergent or the salt?

Hopefully most or all of the iron is still bound into the haemaglobin even if the cells are ruptured. The heat causes the protien structure to unfold/fall apart which allows the iron to escape.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Surely it's common knowledge that blood is best dealt with as soon as possible with cold water only.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What difference does it make?

Reply to