How to re-seal a car body seam?

In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various parts of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a short vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening. It seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the question is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into a thin gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

Reply to
nothanks

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com brought next idea :

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks itself into a narrow gap.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

My Focus Mk1 boot is leaking at both sides. Of course, the tail lights are the usual suspects - but tests seem to indicate that they may not be. I've got duct tape over all the possible areas of ingress - plus over where the rear quarterlights meet the body. I'm now working on the bottom (where the rear bumper meets the body).

However, I had my eye on this sealer in case I need it (but haven't got any yet):

but I'll also look at Capt Trolley too (never heard of it before).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Thanks, from a quick look that seems worth a try

Reply to
nothanks

I've had a hell of a job finding the problem. I used plumbers mastic to blank off different areas and build barriers - starting at the bottom with a hosepipe and working up as each area could be ruled out.

Reply to
nothanks

Just had a look at your link - it's silicone!!!! Don't use silicone if you might want to paint afterwards.

Reply to
nothanks

I shouldn't think I will be - but advice noted,

Reply to
Ian Jackson

There are pukka car seam sealers that can be painted over - which I doubt you could do with a mastic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm the problem then sounds like faulty manufacture. Trouble is that rust has probably already started and with expansion and contraction and vibration its going to be a big problem to keep it sealed. Is the car very old? These things used to happen a lot many years ago but modern cars joints are a lot better.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

seam sealer did it to my Dacia Duster .......

Reply to
Jim in Inverness ...