How to seal a tilt & swivel recessed halogen downlighter.

Hi All,

I am getting a round tuit (well, about 10!) for our kitchen ceiling and am considering a fitting which recessed and has a tilt & swivel feature. I'm not bothered about the tilty-swivelyness, just the recession.

What could I use to seal the (slight) gap where the tilt swivel bit fits into the main body? Fire cement springs to mind, but would this do the job, and or is there something more suitable?

I am not concerned about maintaining a fire barrier, just about stopping much from above comming down and muckying up the fitting (though thinking about it, it will probably get more muckied from below by the "Real Cooking" my lovely wife does).

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not a seal - but it will keep the dirt out I think and will be safe.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We have fire-proof fittings in the kitchen but I fitted several of these caps over the living areas a while ago - also from TLC

rbel

Will this not cause the lamp to overheat, thus reducing lifespan?

I would buy a unit without the tilt and swivel part

yendor

Fire cement sounds really messy, but a bead of clear or white silicone sealant will take the temperature at the risk of slightly reducing the cooling by convection.

Reply to
newshound

That is possible in the long term, but so far none of the lamps have gone in the 18 months or so since fitting the caps.

Reply to
rbel

Should've said, the idea is to quickly simply and aesthetically pleasingly

-ish replace some R50 eyeball and R80 fittings, so I need something to suit a large hole. I have bought a sample of both the tilty swively one, and a standard downlight converter to try them side by side and see which (if eit her) gets management approval.

Reply to
cpvh

I've fitted the pair of them, and will probably use one of these designs fo r the R80 replacements (Though I'm not impressed with the retaining rings f or the (12v) bulbs.

Having pulled one of the R50 Eyeballs yesterday, I find their holes are onl y approx 100mm. Does any one know of any halogen down lighter fittings whic h would suit such holes? (Ideally for

Reply to
cpvh