How to dismantle an Anglian window lock?

Hi.

My house has Anglian Windows that were installed about 14 years ago, before I moved in. The locks consist of a handle with a pair of bars that extend sideways into brackets.

The materiel it is made from is some sort of scrap. It's corroded terribly and the locks hardly move.

I have dismantled most of it, but the central locking gearbox is stuck in the frame. How do I get it out please?

I have:

  • Removed the handle from inside the room. Two long screws reaching through the lock mechanism.

  • Removed the two plastic end guides. One screw each.

*Removed the plastic strips under the locking bars.

This leaves the gearbox in the frame, waiting to be removed. I can't see any further screws so it may just be pressed in, but it shows no sign of moving as I pull at it and I don't want to break it.

I find that the end 3 inches of the locking bars have corroded badly and as a result expanded. I just want to get them down to ground level to grind them back a bit. The handle assembly has been hit by corrosion as well but I think I can fix that as it's out. If not, can you *reccomend* a company (out of the hundreds? that I would find through Google) to supply a new handle?

Thanks. Mike.

Reply to
Mike Barnard